Onuvanja
Participant

Dia is Muire dhuit, a Aindriú,

Welcome to Daltaí! I think it’s great that you’ve decided to brush up your Irish and take pride in the language, especially if you didn’t do that well in the subject at school, something that might have put you off it for good. The Forum is not very active these days, but arm yourself with patience and you can still have most of your questions answered.

As a study aid, I would recommend “Turas teanga”, which is perfect for someone who already has a solid base like yourself and helps you pick up conversational skills.

Go n-éirí leat!

Aindriú is anim dom agus táim an duine nua anseo. Tá dhá bhliain is fiche d’aois agus is as Éire dom. Tá mé I mo chonaí í mBaile Átha Cliath agus rugadh mé anseo freisin. Níl a lán Gaeilge agam, ach ba mhaith liom foghlaim an teanga arís. D’fhoghlaim mé Gaeilge sa scoil, ach ní labhair mé an teanga le mo chlann agus sa Baile Átha Cliath, níl a lán Gaeilgeoirí ach oiread.

What you wrote shows you shouldn’t be at all ashamed about your Irish. 🙂 The sentences make sense and would only need a bit of tweaking. Some tips for a start:
– Is mise an duine nua (not “táim”). You need the copula “is” when saying “I am + NOUN (e.g. student, Irishman)”. But, here you could just say “táim nua anseo”, which would sound more natural.
– Níl mórán Gaeilge agam (not “a lán”). “Mórán” is the word to use in negations and questions.
– Ba mhaith liom an teanga a fhoghlaim arís (not “foghlaim an teanga”). In such a sentence (“I want/plan/try/forgot to + VERB), you need to invert the structure (… rud éigin + a dhéanamh, a dhúnamh, a thosú, a ghlanadh).
– Níor labhair mé an teanga le mo mhuintir. “Ní” becomes “níor” in the past tense and “clann” means “children”, which you probably still don’t have.