A couple translating questions.

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) A couple translating questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    InnkeeperX86
    Participant

I’m looking for a translation of old islander into Gaelic. So far, I have na seana-hoileánaigh, but I’m not sure if I got it right or not.

Also, I wanted to create my own version of the Tuatha-de-Danann, or Children of Danu, except in my mythos they’re the Children of Morrigan, instead. How would I write Children of Morrigan in Gaelic?

In the original myth, Ireland is named after the goddess Eiru, but I wanted to make it named after the Morrigan, instead. For example, I think that when Ireland is referred to as the Emerald Isle, it’s called Oileán Iathghlas na hÉireann, but what if it were Morrigan instead of Erie? In other words, how would you finish “Oileán Iathghlas na…” if Ireland was “Morrigan Land,” instead? Also, instead of Irish, or Eiru-ish, would it be Morrigan-ish? Is it possible to invent such a word?

I’m pretty far-removed from any local Gaelic experts. I realize these are some pretty odd questions, but any help you guys could provide would be great.

aonghus
    Participant

na seana-hoileánaigh

This is plural. An sean Oileánach is what you want, if you mean the Islander is old. If the island is old, then it gets trickier. You will need another word: Muintir/Pobal an tsean oileáin. Or something similar.

Clann na Mór-Ríona

Mór Ríon (Great Queen) is a title rather than an name, so the rest of what you want doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Oileán Iathghlas na Mór Ríona

Labhrás
    Participant

na seana-hoileánaigh

Really with h in between?

“na seanoileánaigh” a déarfainn.

aonghus
    Participant

Ceart agat.
    Botún “Gearr agus greamaigh” a bhí ann.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Actually “Morrigan” or “Mór-ríon” is a proper noun, so I wouldn’t use the article before it:

Clann Mhórríona (I don’t know if it’s better to keep the hyphen there)
    etc, ie. Mhórríona instead of “na Mór-ríona”.

aonghus
    Participant

Teideal atá ann, ní ainm! Sin an toisc go raibh an alt agam ann.

Ach dá mba ainm é bheadh an ceart agat gan amhras.

Nod leat go n-úsáidtear an alt go hiondúil léi sa Bhéarla: “The Morrigan”

Lughaidh
    Participant

The DIL says “Frequently used with the article.” which means: not always. So it’s not always a title, it may be used as a proper noun as well 🙂 So both are right 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

Maith go leor.

Ní fhaca riamh as alt [stet] í.

Aon samplaí eile ann a chuideoidh anseo?

aonghus
    Participant

Níl, dairíre: ach stuif spéisiúil ann:

Morrígan and morrígu
    f.name of an ancient Irish war- goddess. Acc. to Stokes RC xii 128 , De Jubainville RC xxix 195 , the first component is cognate with O.H.G. mara and A.S. maere, cf. Eng. nightmare, Fr. cauchemar, the second being identical with rígan `queen’; attempts have also been made to equate the Morrígan with the fairy Morgan of the Arthurian saga (< mor `sea', `water'), see RC xxxiv 259.
    n the Mid.Ir. period the first syll. seems to have been commonly equated with mór `great’ and the vowel is often accented. Frequently used with the article. ns. morigain, Thes. i 2.6 ( Regina 215 ). in morrigan, TBC² 843 = in Mórrigan, LU 5320. morrígan, LL 10 b 27 . in Mórrigan, 168 a 24 , 32
    . morrígu, 137 a 18 . mórrigu, 10 a 42 . in Morrigu, TBC 1490. Acall. 2496 = morrighan R ( 2496 n. ). gs. na Morrígna, RC xv 292 ( Dinds. 4 ). np. morrignae, Corm. Y 697 = morrigna LB. The daughter of Ernmais: tri ingena aile oc Ernmais .i. Badb ┐ Macha ┐ Morrigu .i. Anand a hainm-side, LL 10 a 42 . in morrigan ingen Ernmusa, RC xii 100 § 137 , cf. 108 § 166 . Sometimes confounded with Bodb and Macha (see RC xix 248 ): Machæ .i. badb. no asi an tres morrigan one of the three Morrigans , O’Mulc. 813. hi Ross Bodbo .i. na Morrighno, ZCP iii 244 § 50 (Tochm. Emere). She appears sometimes in the form of a bird: is í in Mórrigan són i ndeilb eúin, LU 5321 = TCB 844 , cf. TBC 1492 ; also Táin Bó Regamna § 5 ( IT ii 2 245 ), where in § 7 she is called `in morrigan’ in Eg., `in badb’ in YBL. Described as the washer at the ford: dreman inathor dÄ«mar, | no-dus-nigh an Mórríoghan, Fian. 16.10 . As an old woman: caillech lom luath . . . is i in Morrigu mong- liath, MR 198.4 .
    Also used as a generic name: morigain, gl. lamia ( Isaiah 34.14 ), Thes. i 2.6 . gudemain .i. uatha ┐ morrignae, Corm. Y 697. glaidhomuin goa .i. na demuin goacha, na morrigna, H. 3.18 p. 82 b . In place-names: Crích na Morrigna, see Hog. Onom. Gort na Morrignai, ZCP iii 241 § 37.

InnkeeperX86
    Participant

Wow, thanks for the replies. I don’t read a lick of Gaelic, so I’m not sure what half of you are saying. Keep it coming! : )

Mór Ríon (Great Queen) is a title rather than an name, so the rest of what you want doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Oileán Iathghlas na Mór Ríona

Humor me, if you would, and let’s pretend that it were a name (there are probably women out there called Morrigan, or Morgan, at the very least).

Also, with na seana-hoileánaigh, I actually meant to say that I was looking for the plural, so “Old Islanders.” It’s good to know the singular, too, however, and thank you. I suppose the next question I have is did I actually get the plural spelling right or not? : )

Furthermore, Tuatha-de-Danann — what happens if you substitute Morrigan for Danu? How would you write that? Tuatha-de-Mhórríona/Mór Ríona?

aonghus
    Participant

Well, the answer rather depends on whether it is the Island or the people who are old.

Tuatha de means People of (loosely)

so
    Tuatha de Mórríona

would work.

InnkeeperX86
    Participant

Good question. Well, the island the people live on is old, but I was focusing on the age of the people — calling them old, in other words, not the island so much.

As for my Tuatha question, I suppose you could just say Tuatha Dé and leave out the rest, saying “the Children”? How would you make that singular say “the Child”? I think Tuatha Dé is Old Irish, but I’m not sure. : P

aonghus
    Participant

Nope.

“de” is the bit that means of – strictly speaking in this case “descended from”

“Tuatha Dé” with the diacritic means something like “The People of God”

Tuath means people, tribe, nation:

aonghus
    Participant

Good question. Well, the island the people live on is old, but I was focusing on the age of the people—calling them old, in other words, not the island so much.

In that case:
    Na sean oileánaigh

(seana is a dialect form)

Labhrás
    Participant

Good question. Well, the island the people live on is old, but I was focusing on the age of the people—calling them old, in other words, not the island so much.

In that case:
    Na sean oileánaigh

(seana is a dialect form)

And usually without space or hyphen:

na seanoileánaigh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.