“Abair” nó “scríobh?”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “Abair” nó “scríobh?”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Duncan
    Participant

It’s occurred to me that, in English, we use the verb “say” a lot of time referring to something that’s actuallly written. For example, many of us are more liable to say “It says in the paper” even though it’s obviously written. Is it just as common in Gaelic to say (assuming that the autonomous would be used here) “Deirtear sa nuachtán (gur tharla rud éigin)” or “Scríobhtar sa nuachtan?”

How about in something like a letter–which is more often used: “Deir sé ina litir go …” or “Scríobhann sé ina litir go …?” And is it more common to use the past tense (after all, he’s obviously already written the letter!) “Dúirt sé / Scríobh sé?”

Thanks for the input.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’m pretty sure forms of “abair” would be used here, not “scríobh”.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Interesting question. I would personally agree with Héilics, but perhaps the best way to find out would be to watch Nuacht on TG4 and see what the presenters use there. I suppose “abair” and “scríobh” would be the most common words, but there’s also “insítear”, “tugtar le fios”, “tuariscítear” etc, though some of these are more formal.

Duncan
    Participant

From your replies I gather that “say” can be used as a general term for “communicate (in any form)” in both languages. I especially like the suggestion of “tuariscítear” to specify that something is “reported.” BTW, what is TG4, and how do I get there? I’ve been referred to Nuacht before, and would enjoy watching it. GRMA arís!

Onuvanja
    Participant

Hi Duncan!

TG4 or originally Teilefís na Gaeilge is an Irish-language TV channel! You can watch it on the Internet in real time or on demand. The news programme I referred to is called Nuacht and it air several times a day. But that’s by far not the only thing worth watching. Happy viewing! 🙂

Duncan
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I just Googled and found it (I should have thought to try that before). Another great benefit of this forum: learning about resources I never knew existed! I’ll be sure to check it out–thanks! :coolsmile:

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah I recommend getting into the habit of using TG4. It has some great programs on it, not the last of which is Ros na Rún, probably the single best resource for improving your listening fluency of everyday spoken Irish if you don’t have access to a Gaeltacht. The show is set in Connemara, but there are several cast members from other regions as well, so you get a nice cross-section of different dialects in that one show. I still don’t understand the Ulster speakers as well as the mainland Connacht ones, or the character Séamas who I believe is from Árann Mhór (how anyone understands that dialect, I have no idea). But it’s a great channel in general.

Duncan
    Participant

Sounds great. I’ll look into this later today. It’s nice to learn about this sort of thing; I appreciate all the help I get on this forum. Thanks much!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.