Adjectives with or without “go”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Adjectives with or without “go”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

I was wondering if if anybody knows why some descriptive adjectives have the word “go” in them (e.g. Tá tú go hálainn.), but some don’t (e.g. Tá tú láidir.) I’m a beginner, and you may need to explain it in elementary terms. Thanks.

Labhrás
    Participant

I was wondering if if anybody knows why some descriptive adjectives have the word “go” in them (e.g. Tá tú go hálainn.), but some don’t (e.g. Tá tú láidir.) I’m a beginner, and you may need to explain it in elementary terms. Thanks.

Most elementar explanation: Those adjectives are used as adverbs.
    Compare in English:

I am well. -> Tá mé go maith.

Rosie
    Participant

Thank you. That helps. Do you you know, though, how to tell which words to use to use as adjectives and which to use as adverbs? It doesn’t seem quite parallel to English, and apps/websites like Foiclóir and Teanglann don’t seem to indicate the difference.

Labhrás
    Participant

Thank you. That helps. Do you you know, though, how to tell which words to use to use as adjectives and which to use as adverbs? It doesn’t seem quite parallel to English, and apps/websites like Foiclóir and Teanglann don’t seem to indicate the difference.

Only a few adjectives, containing a subjective value judgement, often referring to weather or personal condition
    It depends on dialect, so the list isn’t exhaustive:
    maith, olc, dona, aoibhinn, álainn, deas, breá, iontach (so acc. to Ó Siadhail in “Learning Irish”). I’d add measartha, ainnis, too.

Rosie
    Participant

Wow! That was so helpful. It makes WAY more sense now. Thank you for your time!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.