Aggression against Gaeilge

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Aggression against Gaeilge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    óseanacháin
    Participant

Watching videos as Gaeilge on YouTube, I see quite a bit of hateful comments (though more positive comments.) Why? I can’t seem to understand how people can actually hate a language. It is not as though the language has done anything to them… Any thoughts about this?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Mmm, maybe it’s because they are stupid or ignorant? Even if their Irish classes at school were boring, they should rather insult their teachers or the Irish educational system rather than their ancestors’ beautiful language…

Somhairle Óg
    Participant

I think you hit the nail on the head there, people are told its their native language even though they don’t speak it, and so feel some shame about not speaking it and in some cases that leads to them turning against the language.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

A funny story: I was walking across O’Connell Bridge with a friend of mine a few years ago. We were talking away in Irish, as we always do, when a voice shouted out at us: “GO BACK TO F***ING POLAND!” Well, I’ve never been to Poland, and so I couldn’t go “back” there.

That’s hillarious! A perfect example of someone hearing what they want instead of really listening…and sticking their foot in their mouth because of it. Too bad they didn’t realize later that their toes were being so buddy buddy with their teeth. LOL

But as to the thread subject…I think it is just misdirected anger in one form or another. I’m no fan of Spanish because of being forced to take it in High School and College, but that’s mostly because of the way it was taught, not the laguage itself. I realize that but many people may not because they don’t think on the subject much. It’s best to just let haters hate and keep progressing on in your own learning. 🙂

duḃṫaċ
    Participant

Another good example of said hatred published in Irish independent today. The Indo and SINDO (Sunday Indo) are well known for publishing anti-Irish language bias.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/full-steam-ahead-for-the-gaeilge-gravy-train-29082243.html

Of course nobody ever states what the exact breakdown of this €1billion sum that’s bandied around. Most of it probably goes on Teachers pay. So only way to make a saving is to cut teachers hours, if ye removed Irish from curriculm the teachers would still get paid the same. Ye can bet their unions wouldn’t agree to a pay cut.

-Paul

Lughaidh
    Participant

Interestingly enough, actually, before people started to immigrate here in the noughties, the racist Irish only had travellers, “the Brits”, gay people and Irish speakers to fling abuse at;

and maybe the people from Belfast area too, because when they speak you really wonder what language it is 😆

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Of course nobody ever states what the exact breakdown of this €1billion sum that’s bandied around.

I have always noticed that whenever somebody is feeding you a line of garbage, they will generally make an alleged “economic” argument.

duḃṫaċ
    Participant

Interestingly enough, actually, before people started to immigrate here in the noughties, the racist Irish only had travellers, “the Brits”, gay people and Irish speakers to fling abuse at;

and maybe the people from Belfast area too, because when they speak you really wonder what language it is 😆

It’s called “Jailge”.

As learnt in the Jailtacht, though Gaoltacht might be more appropriate spelling 😉

Lughaidh
    Participant

I wasn’t talking about Urban Irish (which is understandable if you speak English and a bit of Irish 😀 ), but about the kind of English they speak there, and that’s so strange that English speakers from anywhere else don’t even recognize it’s English 😆
    Chualaidh mé cupla scéal mar sin agus char thuig mé ariamh goidè ‘bhì lucht Bhèal Feirste agus a cheantair a’ ràidht 😀 Teangaidh ar leith atà ann 🙂

duḃṫaċ
    Participant

I wasn’t talking about Urban Irish (which is understandable if you speak English and a bit of Irish 😀 ), but about the kind of English they speak there, and that’s so strange that English speakers from anywhere else don’t even recognize it’s English 😆
    Chualaidh mé cupla scéal mar sin agus char thuig mé ariamh goidè ‘bhì lucht Bhèal Feirste agus a cheantair a’ ràidht 😀 Teangaidh ar leith atà ann 🙂

Awh well it could be worse, it could be Dublin where ye basically have three accents when it comes to Hiberno-English. With “Dortspeak” becoming the dominant form of Hiberno-English.

One thing is obviously though is that Hiberno-English has gradually lost more and more of it’s Irish substrate. For example you can see it in the shift in pronunciation of R, which use to be more like in Irish (still is in rural/conservative/old people) which then has knock on effect when kids learn Irish in school.

http://dialectblog.com/2011/04/10/supraregional-irish-english/

I do wonder if some of the “mockery” (in name of “humour”) aimed at some accents in Ireland is due to fact that they may have a stronger Irish substrate when it’s come to phonology and the like:

http://dialectblog.com/2011/04/10/supraregional-irish-english/

Robcobain
    Participant

Bhuel mé féin agus mo chara a bhí i mbaile án deireadh seáchtaine seo caite agus bhí muid ag caint gaeilge agus ta na daoine ag stánadh linn án lá ar fad

Bob Kaucher
    Participant

Here is a sad article:

Man arrested for speaking Irish
    http://www.gaelport.com/default.aspx?treeid=37&NewsItemID=9465

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.