Aistriúcháin: “gluaiseodsa”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Aistriúcháin: “gluaiseodsa”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Tá ceist agam, más é do thoil é

I’m reading An Odaisé in Irish. (Aistritheoir: Monsignor Pádraig de Brún) It is in the Munster dialect.
    Numerous English translations are available online, but I occasionally have trouble reconciling the Irish with the available English.

My problem today is “gluaiseodsa.”

This is the context, as Odysseus resolves to rescue his crew from Circe :

“Ach gluaiseodsa ar mo thriall, mar is treise orm dualgas ná aon ní.”

I can’t find a reference for “gluaiseodsa” although it resembles the analytical form of the conditional tense of the verb.

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it’s the synthetic future of gluais with the suffix -sa for emphasis.

gluaiseod-sa – I will proceed

Ach gluaiseod-sa ar mo thriall, mar is treise orm dualgas ná aon ní. – But I will proceed (set out) on my journey, for duty is stronger to me than anything.

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat!

I am sure you are correct. I wonder why my sources don’t supply that form. “Leabhar Mór Bhriathra na Gaeilge” says “gluaisfead” or “gluaisfidh mé.”

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Actually, gluaisfead looks perfectly right to me, too. It’s probably just a dialect difference within Munster.

I’m not an expert on the different conjugations of this word, but I’ve definitely seen the conditional form written as do ghluaiseodh sé in books. The reason that it’s not mentioned in Leabhar Mór Bhriathra na Gaeilge, is because that book usually only shows Munster Irish from Kerry.

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Tá mé buíoch díot as do chúnamh.

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Yes, thanks. I did notice other verbs had the “-eod” ending.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.