An Ginideach Rannaíoch followed by noun and adjective?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) An Ginideach Rannaíoch followed by noun and adjective?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aodhán
    Participant

I know what happens airgead, in for instance, go leor/a lán/roinnt mhaith etc airgid.

However, what happens with “ríomhchláir cháiliúla” (famous computer programs): go leor/a lán/ roinnt mhaith ríomhchlár cáiliúla (a lot of computer programs)?

Grma.

Lughaidh
    Participant

You would use the genitive plural in this case: a lán ríomhchlár cáiliúil, or a lán ríomhchláracha cáiliúla…

Onuvanja
    Participant

Lughaidh, you give both genitive and nominative forms. Is the use of the genitive plular optional in Standard Irish?

Lughaidh
    Participant

THe 2 forms I give are both the genitive plural.
    “Cláracha” isn’t the standard genitive plural, as far as I know, but it’s used in several dialects.

Onuvanja
    Participant

“Cláracha” isn’t the standard genitive plural, as far as I know, but it’s used in several dialects.

Really? Are you sure about this? I would have thought “cláracha cailiúla” was the nominative plural (which has in many cases replaced the genitive plural in contemporary language) … I agree with you that “cláracha” could be both nominative and genitive, but wouldn’t the genitive plural invariably have to be “cailiúil” (not “cailiúla”)? Sorry if I’m asking a silly question here, the genitive plural has always been a grey area to me.

Labhrás
    Participant

Really? Are you sure about this? I would have thought “cláracha cailiúla” was the nominative plural (which has in many cases replaced the genitive plural in contemporary language) … I agree with you that “cláracha” could be both nominative and genitive, but wouldn’t the genitive plural invariably have to be “cailiúil” (not “cailiúla”)? Sorry if I’m asking a silly question here, the genitive plural has always been a grey area to me.

Strong plurals (like: na cláracha cailiúla) don’t change in genitive (na gcláracha cailiúla)
    But weak plurals (like: na cláir chailiúla) change in genitive case (na gclár cailiúil)

Onuvanja
    Participant

Tuigim. Go raibh maith agat as an riail sin a mhíniú dhom, a Labhráis.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.