bonding with my grandson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    peterdewolf
    Participant

OK lads, I can do the chunks of this but would anyone like to tell me how to say
    ‘Can I watch cartoons Granda’
    My grandson’s favourite request and i want to encourage him to use his Irish with me as I’m learning it. It’s strange but all the kids tend to ignore it when out of school, most of the parents say the same thing, they are reluctant to use it at home.

Lughaidh
    Participant

‘Can I watch cartoons Granda’

‘bhfuil cead agam amharc ar chartùin, a Dheaideo?

aonghus
    Participant

“Faire” nó “féachaint” a bheadh agamsa.

agus “Daideo”.

(Na miondifríochtaí …)

Lughaidh
    Participant

But he’s looking for Ulster irish, I think 🙂 (he subscribed to Ulster Irish learning yahoogroup)

aonghus
    Participant

Mo leithscéal. Níor thuig mé sin!

Barra
    Participant

Hi folks,

If the grandson is learning Irish in school here in Ireland, it might be worth asking him what word (if any) he’s already using in school. He may have already learnt féachaint if his teacher is following the Standard.

I’m in a similar boat with my eight year old nephew, who has learnt to use féachaint in school, whereas I would say breathnú. So as not to confuse him, I stick to what he’s learning in school. I have explained that there are different dialects, and because he often watches cartoons on TG4, I’ll occasionally point out the differences, and he gets it, but still I encourage him to stick with what he’s learning in school.

Barra

aonghus
    Participant

I somewhat agree with you; however *all* of these words are standard!

Kid’s can handle more than one word for things ….

Barra
    Participant

Sure, the kids can, but can the schools? 🙂 Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest that any of the words aren’t standard, just that kids, when they are first learning the language in primary school, might be taught certain words in preference to others that are just as valid, when they’re learning the basics.

peterdewolf
    Participant

Go riabh mile maith agat. yes well spotted and I should have mentioned it, Ulster Irish indeed. I jumped right in and tried Pimsleur and Rosetta and found both of them very impressive and the two methods worked really well, Pimsleur is not at all visual just cleverly constructed drills that work, Rosetta is both and very engaging but both are based on the Munster dialect. I have still learned some but need to focus on the Ulster dialect.
    My dad had a gold fíanna and my mum taught it but it was never offered to me. Probably would have treated it like just another chore to be honest. I’m pleasantly surprised at how poetic and eloquent it is.
    So does any one have an Ulster version? Based on the above I’m suggesting this

Bhfuil cead agam féachaint ar chartùin, a Dheaideo.

Yesterday I told him to ask me in Gaeilc and he, thought about it, remembered that he asks for juice or milk in Irish by saying , ‘I would like milk’ so he quickly adapted that to ” I would like cartoons Granda ” and he said it in Irish of course. I was chuffed with him, he’s only 5.
    So any more takers on an Ulster version or am I close enough ?
    And I appreciate you all taking the time
    Peter

Barra
    Participant

Hi Peter,

I’m not too well up on Ulster Irish to be honest, but if it’s Ulster Irish you’re after, I think Lughaidh’s original suggestion using amharc ar is the one to go with. As far as I know, féachaint is used with a different meaning in Ulster Irish. I don’t know if that’s reflected in the Irish your grandson would be learning at school.

All the best,
    Barra

peterdewolf
    Participant

Barra and Lughaidh, thanks, I’ll run it past his teacher in the morning.
    Peter

Lughaidh
    Participant

Breathnù is Connachta, fèachaint is Munster and Ulster is amharc or amhanc.
    “Fèachàil” does exist in Ulster but it means “to try” (d’fhèach mè le sin a dhèanamh = I tried to do that).

I hope teachers teach Ulster irish (more or less) in schools in Ulster, especially in the Gaeltacht. Well, I know they don’t all do it, actually…

aonghus
    Participant

Ceist agam ort Lughaidh: I leabhair le Gearóidín Breathnach

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1626

Tá “ag coimhéad cartúin” ann.

Cad is dóigh leat den leagan sin? (Baineann sé tuisle as mo theanga i gcónaí ceal taithí!)

BTW Peter, I’d recommend that book which comes with a CD. I’d say your grandson is just the right age for it.

peterdewolf
    Participant

Love the book and the site thanks for the link. I think Fionn will love it too

Lughaidh
    Participant

You can also say “bheith ag coimhéad” in Ulster when talking about tv etc.
    Bhì mè ag coimhèad na teilifìse, bhì sè ag coimhèad cartùn srl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.