bonding with my grandson

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    aonghus
    Participant

Maith agat as an dearbhú sin!

peterdewolf
    Participant

Aonghus. Go ndéanna a mhaith duit

Hugo
    Participant

You can also say “bheith ag coimhéad” in Ulster when talking about tv etc.
    Bhì mè ag coimhèad na teilifìse, bhì sè ag coimhèad cartùn srl

I learned “amharc ar” with the Ulster Irish-based book “Now you’re talking”(“Irish on your own” in USA), only to be told in Gaoth Dobhair “We don’t say it that way, we say “coimhéad”.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Only to talk about tv and movies, I guess. Otherwise to say “look at”, Gaoth Dobhair people say “amharc” or “amhanc”. I heard it very often.

aonghus
    Participant

I wonder is it the difference between looking (once/briefly) and watching (over a period)?

Ach: bíonn daoine ag amharc (amhanc) amach do rudaí.

I would make that distinction between féachaint and faire. But I’m not sure amharc/coimhéad is the same.

Hugo
    Participant

Only to talk about tv and movies, I guess. Otherwise to say “look at”, Gaoth Dobhair people say “amharc” or “amhanc”. I heard it very often.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to tv (you gave “amharc ar” for tv in your first post). Of course, “amharc ar” (in its various pronunciations) is the Donegal standard for “look at”.

peterdewolf
    Participant

LOLLLLL, now my head’s pickled :-). I just found a contact who has the entire series of Irish on your own on mp3. This series is very highly recommended here and formed a basis for local educationalists when delivering Irish classes, so I’m diving right in.
    Thanks everyone for the input I’m taking it all on board. I’m feeding all these alternatives into
    http://www.potafocal.com/Home.aspx
    It’s a great site for someone like me. ,

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.