“breitheamh” in Ulster

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “breitheamh” in Ulster

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

I was wondering about the Ulster pronunciation of
    “breitheamh”…the Foclóir/Teanglann Ulster pronunciation says it, “BRAY•hev,” but (in [color=blue]other[/color] words with [color=green]identical[/color] endings) the ending is always an “oo” sound…was the “hev” ending maybe a regional variation particular to that one speaker? Is it also pronounced “BRAY•hoo” elsewhere? Thanks! 😊

Máirtín
    Participant

Bhuel, comhathraíonn fuaimnithe na bhfocal i ngach cúige agus gaeltacht. D’fhuaimneodh mise an focal breitheamh mar “breha” nó “brehu” gan an “mh”. Sin cinn eile duit. 🙂

Rosie
    Participant

Oh, THANK you! That is very helpful! 🙃

Máirtín
    Participant

Tá fáilte romhat!🙂

Hugo
    Participant

“Meitheamh” (‘June’) is another word the second syllable of which is pronounced ‘iv’ rather than’oo’ in Donegal. I asked some native speakers a few years ago about this, but none of them knew why. I thought Lughaidh might have had something to say about it.

Rosie
    Participant

Oh. Super interesting. It’s weird that nobody knows why. I think I like the “oo” ending best. Thank you very much! 👍🏼😃

Onuvanja
    Participant

If I remember correctly, O’Siadhail writes in his Learning Irish that “comhar” is pronounced with /u:/ in Cois Fhairrge Irish, while “comharchumann” is pronounced with /o:/ due to the fact that the former has always been in the dialect, but the latter is a recent coinage and has therefore not undergone the same historical sound changes. I wonder if something similar is at work here..?

Rosie
    Participant

🤷🏻‍♀️ Good theory. But heck if I know.🙂

Hugo
    Participant

Ceann eile duit, a Rosie: ‘gaineamh’ (sand).

Rosie
    Participant

🙃👍🏼

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.