Cáca nó Císte

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Séril Báicéir
    Participant

What is the difference between the word “cáca” and “císte”. They are both listed as meaning “cake”, but is there a connotative meaning difference or is it dialectical? I also found “borróg” and “toirtín” but I saw that they lean more towards “bun/pastry” and “tart” respectively.

I know this is a bit of a strange question, but I hope someone can help calm my curiosity with this. 🙂

Go raibh maith agaibh!
    Béannachtaí,
    Séril.

Seosamh
    Participant

Difficult to know. Maybe a “cáca” is more associated with something like a wedding cake or a birthday cake something in the confectionary line and a “císte” is more traditional like an oaten cake or wheaten cake.

aonghus
    Participant

They tend to be used interchangeably: however “cáca baile” for example usually means homemade soda bread.

Cáca is sometimes qualified with “milis” to show a sweet cake is meant.

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

They tend to be used interchangeably: however “cáca baile” for example usually means homemade soda bread.

Cáca is sometimes qualified with “milis” to show a sweet cake is meant.

Yes. “Cáca (baile)” and “Cáca milis” in Conamara. We never say “ciste” for cake, but we do have “cistineach” for kitchen, both words sound like they have the same root.

aonghus
    Participant

N’fheadar.

cÍste an earra milis, cIstin(each) an seomra sa Teach. Dar le MacBain is ón mBéarla kitchen a thagann sin.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah I am pretty sure the words are actually unrelated. Also, “ciste” is another word that doesn’t relate to food (as you may know, for all I know you just made a typo).

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

Yeah I am pretty sure the words are actually unrelated. Also, “ciste” is another word that doesn’t relate to food (as you may know, for all I know you just made a typo).

Oppps !

Seosamh
    Participant

Maybe there is a relationship between “ciste” and “císte”.
    “Ciste” meaning a “fund” etc. ie. “a store of money” and “císte” meaning a “cake” etc. ie. “a store of calories”.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

That could be, a Sheosamh. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.