Capitalisation of ‘Nollaig Shona Duit/Daoibh’

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Capitalisation of ‘Nollaig Shona Duit/Daoibh’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tedcrilly
    Participant

Are the words ‘shona’ and/or ‘duit/daoibh’ capitalised in the greeting ‘Nollaig Shona Duit/Daoibh’, and if so, why? [url=https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/nollaig+shona]Foclóir capitalises shona[/url] (but doesn’t have duit/daoibh after it) and generally when I’ve seen it written duit/daoibh have been capitalised too, but I don’t understand why this is.

eadaoin
    Participant

For me it’s a choice. Some people write “Happy Christmas to you all” . . some people write “HAPPY CHRISTMAS To You All” etc etc

I use “Nollaig Shona daoibh go léir”

tedcrilly
    Participant

For me it’s a choice. Some people write “Happy Christmas to you all” . . some people write “HAPPY CHRISTMAS To You All” etc etc

I use “Nollaig Shona daoibh go léir”

So you capitalise shona but not the rest?

eadaoin
    Participant

Yes – not saying that everyone should do this – my personal choice.

tedcrilly
    Participant

Can you explain why it’s capitalised? Is it something grammatical or more a style thing?

eadaoin
    Participant

I capitalise it because I capitalise “Happy Christmas” and “Birthday Greetings” etc

I’ve just glanced through the cards I received this year – pretty much all capitalised – both Irish and English.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.