Ceist agam, le bhur dtoil.

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Ceist agam, le bhur dtoil.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

Is there a specific word in Irish for “afghan” (as in small blanket, lap robe, throw)?

GRMA

Tuigim
    Participant

Afghan =blanket, wrap, throw or shawl. Try looking up blanket or shawl.
    http://www.irishdictionary.ie/home

Seáinín
    Participant

An é seo an rud atá tu ag lorg?

“Fallaing throscáin” ó http://www.focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=fallaing+throscáin&lang=3116659

aonghus
    Participant

afghan: ( lowercase ) a soft woolen blanket, crocheted or knitted, usually in a geometric pattern.

No specific one, here are some to choose from. Note that “troscán” is furniture, so if you mean a piece of cloth used as clothing, one of the below – brat possibly – would be more suitable.

fallaing [ainmfhocal baininscneach den dara díochlaonadh]
    clóca nó gúna scaoilte; fillteog éadaigh do chorp bunóice.

brat [ainmfhocal firinscneach den chéad díochlaonadh]
    clóca scaoilte gan muinchillí; clúdach d’uige thiubh éadaigh (brat urláir, brat staighre); clúdach ar bith (brat sneachta, brat allais).

pluid [ainmfhocal baininscneach den dara díochlaonadh]
    blaincéad.

blaincéad [ainmfhocal firinscneach den chéad díochlaonadh]
    brat tiubh olla ar leaba chun teasa.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh. I don’t really know which would be more appropriate. They’re like miniature blankets, generally kept on the backs of sofas and chairs, to cuddle under when watching tv, etc. I hesitate to use the word blanket, though, because “blanket” brings to mind something much larger. They’re not really clothing (although I’ve been known to walk around wrapped in one when the house is cold). Perhaps furniture throw would be a better term. But does that have the connotation of slip-cover?

Ua_Buadhaigh
    Participant

pluideog – small blanket (according to Ó Dónaill)

BTW, I don’t know what an ‘afghan’ is in this context. Where I was brought up, they were big, hairy dogs. 😉

aonghus
    Participant

Brat is the most general purpose term.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Ok, GRMAgaibh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.