Ceist fé urú, le bhur dtoil.

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Ceist fé urú, le bhur dtoil.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

From TYI, Rules for Eclipsis (in relevant part):

“The initial consonant of a noun is eclipsed in the dative singular following a preposition with the article.” One of the examples they give is:

leis an mbata “with the stick”

Should I infer from this that the same applies to prepositional pronouns with the article? Or is it just the multi-functional “leis” being used instead of “le”?

GRMA

Labhrás
    Participant

From TYI, Rules for Eclipsis (in relevant part):

“The initial consonant of a noun is eclipsed in the dative singular following a preposition with the article.” One of the examples they give is:

leis an mbata “with the stick”

Should I infer from this that the same applies to prepositional pronouns with the article? Or is it just the multi-functional “leis” being used instead of “le”?

GRMA

No, if there’s “leis” meaning “with him” and coincidentally a following article, there is no eclipsis:

Dúirt mé leis an focal ceart a scríobh = I told him to write the correct word.

Only if “leis an” means “with the” there’s eclipsis:

Dúirt mé leis an bhfear an focal ceart a scriobh = I told the man to write the correct word.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Grma, a chara. Tuigim. Ach cén fath “leis” an mbata ionad “le” an mbata?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Ó thaobh na staire dó, bhí s- i dtús an ailt, abair 1500 bliain ó shoin. I Sean-Ghaeilg, deirtí “lasin…” le “with the” a rá (le + alt in aon fhocal amháin). Agus i Nua-Ghaeilg, “leis an…”, inar scaradh an t-alt agus an réamhfhocal.
    Ar an dóigh chéarna, cuirtear “s” isteach nuair a úsáidtear an réamhfhocal “i” roimh an alt : i+an = ins an (a giorraíodh mar “sa(n)” go minic). Ach aríst, is cuid don alt an “s” sin, ní cuid don réamhfhocal é.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Ah! So, “leis an” i gcónaí? Agus “na”? An bhfuil sé “leis na” i gcónaí?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Sea, “leis an” i gcónaí, agus “leis na” i gcónaí” (ach amannaí deirtear “le na” i nGaoth Dobhair).
    I gcupla áit i dTír Chonaill, deireann siad “les na”.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Go raibh maith agut, a Lughaidh. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.