Ceist mar gheall ar an t-ainm “Aora”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Ceist mar gheall ar an t-ainm “Aora”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fearfeasog
    Participant

Hi all. My brother is doing research into our family, and came across the name “Aora Lynch” in the records as our sean-sean-seanmháthar. (great-great grandma). my question is–has anyone heard of this name as being an Irish name, or does anyone have any idea what Irish name it might be a variant of, English or otherwise? All I can think of is caora, and I really doubt anyone would name their beloved child “Sheep!”

This is a woman from contae Cill Dara (Kildare) we believe. Town of Naas.

pé rud, go raibh míle maith agaibh agus ádh mhór oraibh go léir, Mark

padraiginrua
    Participant

Is it possibly Nora? Another thought – maybe a nickname for Honora, a name quite common at the time.

fearfeasog
    Participant

thanks for that, I’ll pass it on.

fearfeasog
    Participant

an tusa an Páidrigín ceana a bhfuil aithne agam uirthi as na seachtainí agus deireadh seachtainí in Esopus? mise Mark Bodah is cuimhin leat mé–is “Daltaí Diva” honórach mé.

ignore that if i’m wrong about ya! 😉

Seáinín
    Participant

One hit I got was the name of a Western Scotland town anglicized to Inveraray but in Scottish Gaelic is Inbhir Aora. There’s a Wikipedia article about the town here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inveraray.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.