chuig vs. chuig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Crann Glas
    Participant

Is there a difference between one way of pronouncing “chuig” and another? I learnt it as to be said with the “ch” as in “loch” or “nach”, but in my lessons, when it was being used differently, it said that it was the “ch” sound that’s softer, more like “hy” or “h”. Which one is correct? Does the pronunciation change according to the use of it? Or is it just a dialect difference, so both would be correct? Could someone please explain this to me? Go raibh maith agat, -Crann Glas.

Lughaidh
    Participant

“Chuig” has merged with “ag” in Connemara.
    In Ulster I think you can either pronounce it as “ag” too, or as “huig” sometimes.

I’m not sure for Munster. I remember people say chùm, chùt, chuige, chùithe, chùinn, chùibh, chùtha, for “chugam, chugat”…

Crann Glas
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, it seems to be only a dialect difference. So after I read your post I searched online and found this, on http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/chuig.htm:
    “In Connacht/Ulster: chuig > [huig] > ag. In place of chuig also ag is used.
    By pronominal forms, often those with h (hagam, agam statt chugam etc.) are found
    in Munster, the g is mostly(except in the 3rd pers. sg.) lenited: chugham, chughat, chuige, chuichi, chughainn, chughaibh, chuchu”.
    GRMA arís, I understand it now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.