císte crón

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Daithi Carr
    Participant

I was going through my gaschaint book and on page 25 i found the sentence, An tosfaidh tú píosa don gcíste crón.
    anyone have any idea what císte cron is ? crón is a brown/tan colour. could it be some sort of tea cake or barmbrac or alternative word for toast ?

its another case of understanding the individual words but missing the exact meaning of whats being said.

Onuvanja
    Participant

I know next to nothing about cakes, but there seem to be a variety of cake recipes which contain the word ‘brown’. This might refer to the colouring, the fact that the cake contains porter etc… I checked whether it might mean a ‘brownie’, but according to http://www.focal.ie, the Irish word for that is ‘donnóg”. So, no luck there. 🙂

Daithi Carr
    Participant

Thanks for looking 🙂
    i also read it can refer to the colour of tea, I suppose it could be some sort of tea cake.

Think the best option is for me to go to the local shop and ask the shop keeper ( a native Irish speaker) when they aren’t busy.

duḃṫaċ
    Participant

could it possibly be “Brown Bread”?. The reason why I suggest that is I know at home we often use “Brown Cake” as a ynonym for Brown Bread, particularly it it’s freshly baked.

-Paul

Daithi Carr
    Participant

I suppose it could well be, as the other two sentences in the same recording are An íosfaidh tú píosa don gcíste crón ?
    an íosfaidh tú píosa arán bán ?and Ar mhaith leat tósta.
    The english translation in do you want white or brown bread or toast. but i find often the translations are not exact , just approximates. (Gaschaint book). one example being fanfaimid go gcífimid an fear glas. -” we’ll wait til the little green man lights up.”
    which i would actualy understand to translate as “we will wait till we see the little green man”

probably is just brown bread and me reading too much in the the císte part and completely over complicating things as usual.

duḃṫaċ
    Participant

Well if it is then it explains the origin of the Hiberno-English “Brown Cake” quite nicely. Case of direct borrowing from Irish into hiberno-english.

-Paul

aonghus
    Participant

I’ve never heard císte crón and I can’t find it being used. (I have read císte baile for a home-baked loaf of bread)

Is this in a particular dialect?

Daithi Carr
    Participant

The Gaschaint book from which its from has three major dialect versions and audio, Munster, ulster and connaght.
    that was from the Munster one, but whether thats Kerry , Cork, or waterford I dont know.

I live in corca dhuibhne so Ill ask a few locals when i get the chance.

padraiginrua
    Participant

I’ve heard the expression ” She made a cake of bread” . I wonder if tis was because the breads were baked in a round form like a cake and not in a loaf shape

aonghus
    Participant

You will hear the phrase cáca/císte baile for homemade bread.

As for císte crón I have been making some enquiries via Twitter

Seán Mac an tSithigh (journalist form Corca Dhuibhne) had never heard it. Neither had Toose Mac Gearailt who is one of the language experts that talk on Rónan Mac Aodha Bhuí’s progamme on Raidió na Gaeltachta on Tuesdays – his guess would have been “Porter cake”

I think this may be a personal/family term for the author in Gaschaint for brown bread

Daithi Carr
    Participant

Think your right, I asked in the local shop and the lady said that although it made sense they wouldn’t really use that around here. course i had to say it 3 or 4 times before I was understood. woeful pronunciation .

What time is that radio shows on at on Tuesdays ? is it the 12.30 Corca Dhuibne slot or another one.

aonghus
    Participant

http://www.rte.ie/rnag/ronan-beo-3/

3-5 Tues to Friday

But on Tuesdays Rónán speaks to a representative for each of the main dialects looking at words prompted by the audience.

I think the series is over for the summer, but you can get podcasts

http://www.rte.ie/rnag/ronan-beo-3/podcasts/

Daithi Carr
    Participant

Excellent, thanks a million for that.

aonghus
    Participant

The word might be an Ulster or Connachta form

Is de réir canúintí atá na nathanna i nGaschaint, agus bhí an leagan seo san rannóg Muimhneach.
    Ach tarlaíonn sé scaití go mbíonn leagan “teaghlaigh” ag duine nach eol dó bheith “teaghlach”.

aonghus
    Participant

Nath a bhíonn ag dream/teaghlach ach nach mbeadh coitianta sa chaint.

Sa chás seo, donn a bheadh cáca baile (i. arán sóid) de ghnáth; tharlódh gur chum duine éigin an nath císte crón dó.
    Níl ansin ach buille faoi thuairim dár ndóigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.