Copular constructions where subject and predicate are grammatically different referents

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Copular constructions where subject and predicate are grammatically different referents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Angmar
    Participant

One can say:

Is í an bhean í.
    ’She is the woman.’

Is é an múinteoir é.
    Eisean an múinteoir.
    ‘He is the teacher.’

Now my question is, how would you build a copular sentence where subject and predicate are grammatically different referents? Which pronouns would you use and where? Let’s say the subject is feminine while the predicate is masculine, as in the following example below. Which of these two would be correct:

[color=purple]She[/color] is the secretary.’

Is é an runaí í.
    Is í an runaí í.

What if the subject is singular while the predicate is plural? For instance, how would you say:

[color=blue]He[/color] is the voices.’ (Odd sentence, imagine a work of fiction where “He” is a being capable of many voices)
    Is iad na glórtha é.
    Is é na glórtha é.

The reason I ask is that I’m trying to determine the function of each pronoun (subject or predicate). There seems to be a syntactical flip occuring in some copular constructions in Irish. Hopefully someone can help. References would be appreciated if you know of any.

P.S.: I have training in linguistics so do not hesitate to indulge in linguistic explanations.

Labhrás
    Participant

One can say:

Is í an bhean í.
    ’She is the woman.’

Is é an múinteoir é.
    Eisean an múinteoir.
    ‘He is the teacher.’

Now my question is, how would you build a copular sentence where subject and predicate are grammatically different referents? Which pronouns would you use and where? Let’s say the subject is feminine while the predicate is masculine, as in the following example below. Which of these two would be correct:

[color=purple]She[/color] is the secretary.’

Is é an runaí í.
    Is í an runaí í.

Is í an rúnaí í.

What if the subject is singular while the predicate is plural? For instance, how would you say:

[color=blue]He[/color] is the voices.’ (Odd sentence, imagine a work of fiction where “He” is a being capable of many voices)
    Is iad na glórtha é.
    Is é na glórtha é.

The reason I ask is that I’m trying to determine the function of each pronoun (subject or predicate). There seems to be a syntactical flip occuring in some copular constructions in Irish. Hopefully someone can help. References would be appreciated if you know of any.

P.S.: I have training in linguistics so do not hesitate to indulge in linguistic explanations.

Probably
    Is é na glórtha é.

but

Is iad na glórtha an fear.

Though the first pronoun is called “subpredicate” and should agree in number and gender with the predicate, this is not the case when the subject is also a simple pronoun.

It is always either
    é … é,
    í … í
    or
    iad … iad,
    never é … í or í … é or iad … é/í

Another example with a plural noun which comes to mind is:

Ba é na flaithis é. = It was heaven. (source: Idir Neamh is Talamh, Joe Steve Ó Neachtáin)
    (na flaithis = heaven, plural noun, lit. “the realms”, kind of a pluraletantum.
    It (something aforementioned) was (like) heaven.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.