Cork is in the south.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    johfal
    Participant

Tá Corcaigh sa theas. Tá Corcaigh sa deisceart. Are they both saying the same thing? GRMA

Hugo
    Participant

Tá Corcaigh sa theas. Tá Corcaigh sa deisceart. Are they both saying the same thing? GRMA

‘Tá Corcaigh sa deisceart’ is fine. ‘Theas’ is an adjective and adverb – not a noun -so you can’t say “sa theas”. Another way to say ‘C is in the south’: ‘Tá C ó dheas’, though this can also mean “to the south/southwards”. I’m not sure if ‘Tá C theas’ just on its own is ok.

donailin13
    Participant

They mean the same thing. Tá Corcaigh sa deisceart, tá Corcaigh sa theas, or tá Corcaigh i ndeisceart na hÉirinn

Aengus
    Participant

Hugo is correct – “theas” isn’t a noun, so you can’t say “sa theas” – it just doesn’t make any sense in Irish.

Apart from the grammar, from a phonological point of view it’s also uncomfortable to say, because words that start with “t” don’t take a séimhiú after “sa”, (you say “sa teach” or “sa tuaisceart”, for example), so “sa theas” just feels wrong, (even though the “h” in “theas” is just a normal part of the word, and “theas” isn’t the noun “teas” (heat/warmth) with a séimhiú).

You can say:
    Tá sé ina chónaí theas i gCorcaigh.
    Tá Corcaigh sa chuid theas den tír.
    Tá Corcaigh taobh theas de Tiobráid Árann.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.