“cúig bliana” vs. “cúig bhliana”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “cúig bliana” vs. “cúig bhliana”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Harrison
    Participant

In Colloquial Irish, I’ve heard speakers in the recordings say both “cúig bliana” and “cúig bhliana”? Is one preferred over the other? From my understanding, “cúig bliana” appears to be standard. Is “cúig bhliana” a Conamara thing?

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Unfortunately, neither Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge nor An Teanga Bheo have anything to say on the subject. However, O’Siadhail does mention it briefly in his Learning Irish, saying that “five” lenites a number of special plural forms, such as “bliana”. So perhaps there is some uncertainty in that area and some people lenite “bliana”, but others don’t. Still, the word “five” itself is usually lenited in Conamara, so you’d normally say “chúig”.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Just to clarify my previous comment, the lenited form “chúig” is used for counting objects, e.g. “five boats” (not when it stands alone, as in “one, two, three …” or “five o’clock”).

Harrison
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat. I have a copy of An Teanga Bheo on the way, so that should help.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Good idea! If you’re specifically interested in Connemara Irish, I would also recommend O’Siadhail’s Learning Irish. It’s a bit tedious and old-fashioned, but more detailed than An Teanga Bheo.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I recently came across a “cúig bhliana” in a story by Ó Cadhain, so it probably is a Conamara thing.

Labhrás
    Participant

I recently came across a “cúig bhliana” in a story by Ó Cadhain, so it probably is a Conamara thing.

Yes, but as well in Blasket Islands Irish (Peig Sayers, Tomás Ó Criomhthain)

Lughaidh
    Participant

Could it be a mistake made by the editor?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.