Dia dhuit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shamrockbhoy
    Participant

Is Mise Stephen, I Just joined the board I live in england and just started irish (self taught via the net) Am trying to learn more Irish more so Irish pronunciation I can’t find a teacher local to me to get lessons, i think this is the best way forward.

Sláinte mhaith

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Fáilte romhat, a mhac!

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Fáilte romhat, a mhac!

I think you meant to say “a mhic”, right?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Depends on dialect. In Connact (at least Conamara) it’s “a mhac”.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Isn’t “a mhac” a term of endearment while “a mhic” is only used to call your real son?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

A man said to me in a pub as he was making his way into the toilets: “Fág mo radharc, a mhac!” I don’t think he was using it as a sign of endearment somehow but telling me to get out of his damn way.

Instead of moving out of the way, you should have asked him why he said “a mhac” instead of “a mhic“. 😉

shamrockbhoy
    Participant

Is Mise Stephen, I Just joined the board I live in england and just started irish (self taught via the net) Am trying to learn more Irish more so Irish pronunciation I can’t find a teacher local to me to get lessons, i think this is the best way forward.

Sláinte mhaith

Stephen,

I don’t know if there any specific pronunciation courses out there and I fear that some of them may be from L2 speakers who generally have poor pronunciation.

The best (and cheapest) way is by listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta where you will hear native speakers. You can
    listen live via the website as well to as to podcasts of the various programmes. Don’t worry if you don’t understand everything; the important thing is that you get an idea of the basic sounds of Irish.

There are now a number of texts with accompanying CDs but be sure to pick a text being read by a native Gaeltacht speaker if you want to master the pronunciation properly.

There are other texts such as The Irish of West Muskerry but these are probably too techical if you’re just starting out.

Go n-éirí go binn leat

go raibh maith agat

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

You can always try this site for pronunciation. It might not be perfect, but it’s a pretty neat tool.

http://www.abair.tdc.ie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.