Double genitives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

Can anyone point me toward learning materials/information dealing with double genitives, other than the little blurb found on http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm ? I’ve looked through TYI, LI, McGonagle’s Handbook and Nancy Stenson’s Basic Irish and Intermediate Irish, to no avail. No one seems to address this with any depth. Any help would be appreciated. GRMA

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Can you give some examples?

Aislingeach
    Participant

I guess I didn’t explain what I was looking for very well.

When 3 (or more) nouns are in a genitive relationship, there are various ways to handle it, dependent on multiple factors. But the only information I find addressing this is scattered in bits and pieces here and there. Rather than having to cull the information from a reference to genitives under each factor, I am asking if there is a reference available that covers the rules for the various factors/constructs all in one place, as a single topic. Is that any clearer?

GRMA

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Here’s a short article about multiple genitives that is very helpful:

http://www.corkirish.com/wordpress/archives/2624

Where would us learners of Munster Irish be without this web-site? 🙂

Aislingeach
    Participant

GRMA, a chara. If you hadn’t pointed it out, I never would have seen it. I rarely use that site for anything but the sound files. Looks like I’ll take the bits and pieces I find and compile them myself. I was just hoping there was something already out there with all the info in one place. No harm in asking, right? 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

I think the issue here is that such accumulations of nouns don’t usually happen in natural speech. Often they are the result of poor (overly literal) translations from English.

So that the “rules” are only slowly forming.

Aislingeach
    Participant

I think the issue here is that such accumulations of nouns don’t usually happen in natural speech. Often they are the result of poor (overly literal) translations from English.

So that the “rules” are only slowly forming.

GRMA, a Aonghuis. That is one of the reasons it is important to me to have all the “If X then do Y” pieces in one place. When something is ubiquitous, even if I don’t fully understand it, I have repetition on my side. Sooner or later it will either “click” for me, or cease to matter if it does click, because either way, I’ll know how to say it simply from constant usage. But something comparatively rare, such as double genitives, is a different story. It will be easier for me to put the puzzle together if the pieces are not all in different boxes. It is ironic that the grammar points not laid out in detail are exactly the ones I need formatted that way in order to learn them. In any event, I’ll have a nice little “cheat sheet” to refer to when I’m done! 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

Nine times out of ten, the correct thing to do will be to recast the phrase.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

I know many people on this forum have suggested keeping the sentences and phrases within your range of knowledge, and keeping it simple. 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

I ought to clarify that that was not aimed at learners but a general rule!

But I am a descriptivist, not a prescriptivist.

Labhrás
    Participant

other than the little blurb found on http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm ?

The German version is more detailed: [url=http://www.braesicke.de/subst2.htm#mehrgen]mehrere Genitive?[/url]

Harp
    Participant

But I am a descriptivist, not a prescriptivist.
    —————————————————–

Please Aonghus give the Irish for these two words!

Le meas,
    Harp

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please Aonghus give the English for these two words!!!
    Also, I wouldn’t admit this stuff on line. Such confessions
    down here in Texas could get you arrested and imprisoned

🙂 Féabar Mac

Aislingeach
    Participant

Quite true, and 9 out of 10 times, that’s what I end up doing. But I would like to get it right the tenth time, as well! Hmm…an deichiú ham nó an t-am deichiú?
    We could probably use more descriptivists, just for balance. The scales are weighted rather heavily the other way here!

GRMA, a Labhrás, but I don’t have any German. :down:

Harp
    Participant

Please Aonghus give the English for these two words!!!

Also, I wouldn’t admit this stuff on line. Such confessions
    down here in Texas could get you arrested and imprisoned
    ======================================
    and rightly so!!Down here in Texas, on the Flying Shamrock Ranch, I do not allow a “buachaill bo/” to use words like “descriptivist and/or prescriptivist.”
    Words like these make the cows go dry!!!

Scig,
    Harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.