Draoi – dubh or dorcha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Seosamh2012
    Participant

A Chairde,
    what is the best translation for the English,
    ‘black magician’
    ?

i.e. A magician who practises baneful sorcery and black magic.

g.r.m. agaibh

Seosamh

Murchadh
    Participant

I’m not sure, but ‘asarlaidhe’ (C.O. ‘asarlaí’) might be better than ‘draoi’ for this meaning.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

If an adjective is needed, my inclination was to say “dubh” and this is backed up somewhat by the fact that ÓÂ Donaill gives “black magic” as “dubhealaín”.

Seáinín
    Participant

And if dubhealaín is “black art, magic”, then a practioner of same might be a dubhealaíontoir.

Seosamh2012
    Participant

And if dubhealaín is “black art, magic”, then a practioner of same might be a dubhealaíontoir.

Is there any precedent in Irish for this word?
    grma

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Not that I’m aware of. Ealaiontoir is an artist. I don’t think “dubhealtaiontoir” would immediately connote a magician, but rather an evil artist of some kind. But maybe it has appeared in literature somewhere – who knows. “Asarlai/draoi na dubhealaine” seems more likely to me, but this too is speculation.

Seáinín
    Participant

I’m not claiming that dubhealaíontoir is a legitimate word, only that there might be some logic in going from dubhealaín to it. Just for fun I searched the New Corpus for Ireland (http://corpas.focloir.ie) and found this quote from a 1996 edition of an Ulster newspaper:

“( is é sin , conas ‘ Cé gur cyberculchie mé le Gaeilge ‘ a chur ag glioscarnach ón tsúil chlé le linn do ‘ Ní Gaeilgeoir mé ‘ a theilgean ón tsúil dheas : dubhealaín dheacair nach dtig leis na dubhealaiontóirí sa Drúid a chleachtadh )”

So at least I wasn’t the first or only one to think this up. 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Cool find. What was the actual source of that quote, do you know? The word “ealaíontóir” itself actually has a broader meaning than “artist” in the usual English sense, so this could very well be legit.

Also a nice reminder that one can’t rely on Google to find everything for you 😉

Murchadh
    Participant

There are a number of terms based on the root ‘diabhal‘ with this meaning:
    diabhal-dán, diabhal-dánacht, diabhalnach (‘a necromancer’), diab(h)laidheacht*.

These could be taken as pertaining specifically to activity involving the Abrahamic ‘devil’ rather than the more general concept of black magic but they’re certainly another option.

(*This word and diab(h)laidhe (adj.) are frequently pronounced with an unlenited ‘b’.)

Seosamh2012
    Participant

There are a number of terms based on the root ‘diabhal‘ with this meaning:
    diabhal-dán, diabhal-dánacht, diabhalnach (‘a necromancer’), diab(h)laidheacht*.

These could be taken as pertaining specifically to activity involving the Abrahamic ‘devil’ rather than the more general concept of black magic but they’re certainly another option.

(*This word and diab(h)laidhe (adj.) are frequently pronounced with an unlenited ‘b’.)

Go raibh maith agat, Murchadh – this makes more sense.

I’d like to pose a follow up question here in this context.

We all know Lugh, the Ildana – or, in Irish – Samhildanach;

how might we take the word Samhildanach and convert it to mean,

“Skilled in all the BLACK Arts” ?

go raibh mil maith agaibh

for reference, another source uses marbhdraoi for necromancer http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fgb/necromancer

Murchadh
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, Murchadh – this makes more sense.

I’d like to pose a follow up question here in this context.

We all know Lugh, the Ildana – or, in Irish – Samhildanach;

how might we take the word Samhildanach and convert it to mean,

“Skilled in all the BLACK Arts” ?

go raibh mil maith agaibh

Diabhaldánach” I suppose. (“Dubh-dhánach” may seem like an obvious possibility but it means “fatal” apparently.)

for reference, another source uses marbhdraoi for necromancer http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fgb/necromancer

Marbh-dhraoi (& Marbh-dhraoidheacht) is also in Dinneen’s dictionary under “marbh-“.
    In the same dictionary is the word Dubh-dhraoidheacht “sorcery, black-art” (from which one could form an adjective by suffixing -ach: dubh-dhraoidheachtach).

Murchadh
    Participant

I notice Duibh-ealadha(in) “black art, magic” & Duibh-ealadhanach “pertaining to black art; sm. a magician” is Dinneen’s too suggesting it’s not a recent borrowing from English

Seosamh2012
    Participant

“( is é sin , conas ‘ Cé gur cyberculchie mé le Gaeilge ‘ a chur ag glioscarnach ón tsúil chlé le linn do ‘ Ní Gaeilgeoir mé ‘ a theilgean ón tsúil dheas : dubhealaín dheacair nach dtig leis na dubhealaiontóirí sa Drúid a chleachtadh )”

Very interesting quote – how would you translate this into English?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Something like “that is, how to make ‘even though I am a cyber-yokel with Irish’ glimmer from your left eye while projecting ‘I’m not an Irish speaker’ from your right eye: a difficult black art that that the black magicians in the Druids didn’t manage to practice”.

I think.

(I don’t know how to appropriately translate “culchie”, but I chose “yokel” because it seems to mean some kind of a rural person).

Seosamh2012
    Participant

).

Go raibh mil maith agat – culchie didnt even need translation 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.