Faulty business names, etc. in Irish – how damaging are these to the language?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Faulty business names, etc. in Irish – how damaging are these to the language?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Wow… another update here, and this one is simply stunning. Most recent reply from this company:

Here’s an English language lesson for ya. Look up the definition of the words/terms “obtuse” “nit-picking” “right man syndrome”.

What a pathetic, ignorant person.

Insect Overlord
    Participant

Wow… another update here, and this one is simply stunning. Most recent reply from this company:

Here’s an English language lesson for ya. Look up the definition of the words/terms “obtuse” “nit-picking” “right man syndrome”.

What a pathetic, ignorant person.

That is atrocious! Leaving aside for a moment their poor use of Irish, it’s clear that whoever you’re dealing with needs lessons in customer service and media communication. There’s no place for that kind of dismissive arrogance in any person acting in a professional capacity.

Daithi Carr
    Participant

“lesson for ya”
    Is ya a grammatically acceptable form of addressing someone?
    Not that I don’t have a problem being used, it just seems as a bit of an odd way to be trying to convey your “Superior” knowledge of English .

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah, it’s pretty scary. I won’t pollute the board with any more of our conversation as it’s just become increasingly nasty from that point on, and I’ve added him to my blocked list because I’m just not interested in reading any more of his garbage.

The sad thing is that the actual material on their site looks really helpful (it’s a system of breathing and meditation). I don’t think the man I’ve been communicating with is responsible for the design of the program – all the videos feature a woman, who appears to be the one largely responsible for the system.

Insect Overlord
    Participant

Yeah, it’s pretty scary. I won’t pollute the board with any more of our conversation as it’s just become increasingly nasty from that point on, and I’ve added him to my blocked list because I’m just not interested in reading any more of his garbage.

The email address used by their rep is @paleochristianity.org, a website with a header that reads “Fellowship of the cosmic mind”. The person you were dealing with is probably a member of this pseudo-religious sect.

There’s no hope of them applying the reality of Gaelic grammar and syntax if they think they can make up their own reality of the universe.

The website for Éiriú Eolas contains “Copyright © 2013 by Fellowship of the Cosmic Mind. All rights reserved” at the bottom of the home page.

This whole thing has just gone a bit weird… O_o

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

It’s funny, I didn’t even realize until I added the address to my block list that that was what the domain was. It’s somewhat bizarre considering that the program itself is basically just a series of breathing and meditative exercises. I watched some of their videos and at no point do you get a Christianity or religious vibe. The whole thing is somewhat puzzling.

Daithi Carr
    Participant

in my experience of these sort of odd cosmic,spiritualist, religion blending groups they are often quite innocuous on the surface and then as you get in to it more and delve deeper it gets stranger and stranger.
    Consciously or not it is done to rope people in. If you come across too strong in the beginning you scare people off.

One example of this is I met a person who did some sort of raeki-magical energy healing, fair enough not my thing.

It eventually transpired after a considerable period of time that she could and regularly used her energy healing to remove invisible micro chips aliens had planted inside people they had abducted and wiped their memory of such an event (obviously) . Anyone who questioned this was a “skeptic” a dirty word in this circle , which i would translate as Heretic.

It is utterly impossible to rationally discuss some thing with someone who sees any evidence to the contrary as being part of a conspiracy . Best thing to do is nod and smile and look for a exit.

BruceB
    Participant

To add insult to injury:

The audio from the CD with subtitles, set against a backdrop of relaxing nature scenes. Use this disc if Éiriú Eolas CD is not available in your language or if you are hearing impaired. This disc also contains a copy of the Éiriú Eolas guide book in languages in PDF format that can be accessed from your computer along with MP3 versions of the CD in English and other languages.

Subtitles available in: English, Danish, German, Spanish, Greek, French, Croatian, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Turkish and Vietnamese!

Audio CD available in: English, Spanish and French.

No Irish language option in their touchy-feely new-agey stuff.

Insect Overlord
    Participant

To add insult to injury:

The audio from the CD with subtitles, set against a backdrop of relaxing nature scenes. Use this disc if Éiriú Eolas CD is not available in your language or if you are hearing impaired. This disc also contains a copy of the Éiriú Eolas guide book in languages in PDF format that can be accessed from your computer along with MP3 versions of the CD in English and other languages.

Subtitles available in: English, Danish, German, Spanish, Greek, French, Croatian, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Turkish and Vietnamese!

From their wonderful company rep:

“I can’t say I agree with your claim that we are “abusing” the Irish language or that there is no reason to use Irish words as our company name while not having Irish as a language option on the DVD itself. Today, there are few, if any, Irish speakers who do not also speak English or one of the other languages we offer.”

Shower of jokers.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

To add insult to injury:

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Interestingly enough, the man I spoke with, Joe, in one of his little rants, described Irish as his “native language”.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

“I can’t say I agree with your claim that we are “abusing” the Irish language or that there is no reason to use Irish words as our company name while not having Irish as a language option on the DVD itself. Today, there are few, if any, Irish speakers who do not also speak English or one of the other languages we offer.”

Out of curiosity, where did you find this statement from their rep? Did you contact them as well?

Insect Overlord
    Participant

Out of curiosity, where did you find this statement from their rep? Did you contact them as well?

I emailed them a few days ago after reading your message here.

BruceB
    Participant

Héilics Órbhuí: “Out of curiosity, where did you find this statement from their rep? Did you contact them as well?”Ooops. The “I can’t say” is from Insect Overlord” in msg 23. The quote I gave in msg 24 is from the Éiriú Eolas website: http://eiriu-eolas.org/

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Héilics Órbhuí: “Out of curiosity, where did you find this statement from their rep? Did you contact them as well?” Ooops. The “I can’t say” is from Insect Overlord” in msg 23. The quote I gave in msg 24 is from the Éiriú Eolas website: http://eiriu-eolas.org

Hehe, yeah sorry, I made that confusing by deleting the wrong “quote” tag there.

Jonas
    Participant

This is an interesting topic, and faulty use of a language is (unfortunately) very common. After last being active on Daltaí, I’ve lived in Italy where Italian was of course my everyday language for all aspects of life (work, girlfriend, shops, news etc.) and I’d dare to say no language in Europe is so often misused. During my recent summer holidays in Finland I visited an “Italian” restaurant where every dish in the menu was given in its Italian name and every dish contained at least some language mistakes. That’s rather common, as many companies in both the food industry and the fashion industry try to give themselves an Italian flavor.

Another example is when I visited IKEA in Bordeaux to buy my kitchen and a couch. All names are in Swedish, but pronounced with a French accent. It makes it rather confusing for this native Swedish speaker who kind of expects them to be pronounced “as they should”.

Of course, there is no risk of damage to Italian or Swedish, just as there is no risk of damage to English by the often hilarious ways in which English is misused. Irish as a small language is in a weaker position, but I still don’t think the occasional language mistakes by businesses have any impact on the language.

(ps: this professor of consumer behavior and customer services is appalled by that reply. Whatever the background, insulting consumers is – needless to say- never ever wise.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.