Future Tense Pronunciation

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Future Tense Pronunciation

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dáithí
    Participant

Maybe I’ve got things mixed up, but to my ears, the marker or signal for the future tense is the long e sound (i:), yet in the posts above I see the schwa sound, which I guess is an Ulster phenomenon. Any comments on the differences in the dialects’ sounds that signify the future tense (long e vs. uh) would be appreciated.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Maybe I’ve got things mixed up, but to my ears, the marker or signal for the future tense is the long e sound (i:), yet in the posts above I see the schwa sound, which I guess is an Ulster phenomenon. Any comments on the differences in the dialects’ sounds that signify the future tense (long e vs. uh) would be appreciated.

It’s not an Ulster phenomenon.

The -f(a)idh endings are pronounced:

-“ee” in Ulster except when followed by a pronominal subject (mé, tù, sè, sì, etc)
    -“ig” in Munster except when followed by a pronominal subject (mé, tù, sè, sì, etc)
    -“uh” everywhere when there is a pronominal subject (mè, tù…)
    -“uh” in Connemara in all cases anyway

E.g.
    glacfaidh sè is pronounced glah-kuh shay everywhere
    glacfaidh an bhean is pronounced: glah-kee’n vahn in Ulster, glah-kuh’n vahn in Connemara, glah-kig un vahn in Munster.

Dáithí
    Participant

Thanks Lughaidh – your explanation helps alot – including the examples.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.