Help with a word

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LTrehobo
    Participant

what is the irish word fro dropping? I am trying to put my favorite Yeats poem into irish

Beidh mé ag teacht chun cinn agus dul anois, agus téigh go dtí Innisfree,
    Agus cábáin beag a thógáil ann, de chré agus cliatha ndéanamh;
    Beidh Naoi Bean-sraitheanna tá mé ann, a hive don mil-bee,

Agus do chónaí leat féin sa Glade beach-os ard.

Agus beidh mé roinnt tsíocháin bheith ann, do thagann an tsíocháin dropping mall,
    Dropping ó veils an maidin go dtí ina nglaonn an cruicéad;
    Tá meán oíche ar fad a glimmer, agus meán lae Glow corcra,

Agus oíche iomlán de sciatháin an londubh ar.

Beidh mé ag teacht chun cinn agus dul anois, ar feadh i gcónaí oíche agus lá
    Chuala mé uisce loch rádlaithe le fuaimeanna ísle ag an gcladach;
    Cé Seasaim ar an mbóthar, nó ar na cosáin liath,
    Cloisim é i gcroílár domhain ar croí.

eadaoin
    Participant

dropping = ag sileadh

LTrehobo
    Participant

go raibh maith agat

LTrehobo
    Participant

Cuir gaeilge ar, “bee” and “hive” dom, le do thoil?

eadaoin
    Participant

“bee” = beach

“honey-bee” = beach mheala . . . (meala is the ?genitive of mil/honey .. )

“hive” = coirceog

maybe someone could help with a few bits of grammar . .
    eadaoin

Seáinín
    Participant
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

No offense, but you haven’t translated anything. You literally put it into Google Translate (which never ever yields acceptable results in Irish). I tried pasting the original poem in there and it gave me exactly what you have.

If you want to know certain Irish words, that’s awesome and I applaud your interest in the language. However if your goal is to have a poem that is even remotely intelligible, that is not going to be accomplished by any means other than having someone who is fluent in Irish translate the poem for you line by line.

Sorry if I sound harsh – I’m not trying to be a dick. But you’re far better off getting a grammar book and Ó Dónaill’s dictionary and trying to translate it yourself over the next few years than you are taking what Google gives you and thinking that you have “The Lake Isle of Inishfree in Irish”.

LTrehobo
    Participant

well you kind of are being kind of a dick. Yes i put it it into google translate. I want to see his words in Irish. If you can’t help that is fine. I will be visiting family in Carraroe September 3rd and I will have them do it for me. I just thought I could find someone here who could help me since i couldn’t find a version on the internet or the library

eadaoin
    Participant

LTrehobo

Don’t take it personally – Google translate for Irish works reasonably for words (mostly!) but it’s pretty awful for phrases other than very simple “cat sat on the mat” ones.

It’s great that you’ve family who can help – while you’re waiting for September, you could ask questions here about little snippets of your translation, and thereby learn a bit more Irish . .
    concentrating on the grammar rather than the words – you could probably find glimmer and glow and veil in Google ok, but the lines still might not make sense

le dea-ghuí

eadaoin

LTrehobo
    Participant

ok I will un-ruffle my feathers. when I talked to my da this morning he said i should just email uncle Bartley and he will translate, he teaches Irish studies at university. I am in a course that teaches grammar but I am just a beginner most of what I know is what I heard family speaking or what my uncle charlie has taught me on trips to Carraroe and lettercallow.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

If I’m being a dick, then being a dick is more helpful than if I gave you the words you wanted and let you go on with your life thinking you got what you wanted and everything was peachy. If you want help understanding the grammar, I am more than happy to offer suggestions or clarify where the Google version is way off. And there are a bunch of other really helpful and knowledgeable people here of course.

Like eadaoin says, don’t take it personally. You must understand that Irish in particular is a language that is mangled far too often and people that actually care about the language are too used to seeing it get the Google treatment. Even “official” signage in Ireland is often churned out using the worst translationese one can imagine. Even a learner’s attempt to translate something with what little grammar they understand are usually better than an automatic translator. I wasn’t exaggerating when I said you’d be better off trying it yourself. It will also be a valuable learning opportunity.

Carraroe is beautiful and a fun place to go to improve one’s Irish. You’re really lucky to have family there. Good luck with your studies.

Seáinín
    Participant

Here are a couple of translations that will give you something to work with:

https://muscrai.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/oilean-inis-fraoigh/.
    https://ancroiait.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/421-oilean-locha-inis-fraoigh/

Agus mór an t-ádh leat

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

An-fhear thú, a Sheáinín.

The first one is more poetic and attempts to obey roughly the same rhyme scheme as the original. The second is somewhat more accurate as a literal translation.

eadaoin
    Participant

Seánín
    Is iontach an céad ceann!

LTrehobo
    you’ll learn a lot of Irish by comparing the second version with the original English.
    go n-eirí leat!

eadaoin

LTrehobo
    Participant

Thank you so much for the help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.