Help with translating English To Irish Gaelic

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Help with translating English To Irish Gaelic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CelticPilot
    Participant

Could anyone help me with properly translating this phrase from English to Irish Gaelic?

Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I’ll ever know. Live and die on this day.

Onuvanja
    Participant

That’s a hard one… I can only offer a free translation to capture more or less the same meaning. Perhaps others can do better?

Isteach leat i bpáirc an áir, ní beo duit ach go dtí an cath deireannach. [Lit. Enter the battle-field, you will never feel as alive as in your last battle]

aonghus
    Participant

Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I’ll ever know. Live and die on this day.

Isteach arís sa bhearna baoil,
    san deá chath deiridh a bhlaisfidh mé,
    Mair agus éag ar an lá seo

Onuvanja
    Participant

Don’t know if it really matters, but I think it should be “bhaoil” rather than “baoil”. Otherwise, excellent translation! You always hit the nail on the head, Aonghus.

aonghus
    Participant

That is one for the grammar mavens.

“Bhearna baoil” is what is here:

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/irish/Crios_na_hÓige/Maidir_leis_an_mBunreacht,_an_Bhratach,_an_tAmhrán_Náisiúnta_agus_an_Chruit/An_tAmhrán_Náisiúnta.html

Anocht a théim sa bhearna baoil,

Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.