Help with translation please

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Help with translation please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Douglas
    Participant

Hello,
    Can someone help me?
    If you want to say “Family is important”, is this the right way: “Is tábhachtach an chlann”, or is this a better option: “Is tábhachtach do mhuintir”.

Thanks for your help.

Douglas Wilson

Lughaidh
    Participant

I’d say “Tá do theaghlach tábhachtach” or “Tá an teaghlach tábhachtach”.
    Normally, “do mhuintir” means “your parents” and “an chlann” means “the children” (clann doesn’t include your parents nor your grandparents, for example).

Cúnla
    Participant

Ideally you’d probably want to see if there were any existing Irish sayings or proverbs that’d give you the meaning you wanted and that had a similar currency in Irish to what your English catchphrase has in English. Well-known, for example, is the proverb:

Is maol guala gan bráthair

…which parses literally as “’tis bare a shoulder with no brother,” and which can mean that, well, family/kin (“brother” being representative thereof) is of great importance and that one is not whole without it.

There are others besides, depending on what nuance you’re looking for, e.g.:

Is tréan an rud an gaol

≈ “Family/blood/kinship is great/powerful/strong.”

Clann a leagas, clann a thóigeas

≈ “Family (i.e., having a family=wife+children) may bring you down, but family [also] lifts you up/restores you.”

Ní grá go clann

≈ “You ain’t seen [real] love till you have a family.”

Lughaidh
    Participant

gan bHráthair 😉

Cúnla
    Participant

gan bHráthair 😉

Sa gCaighdeán 😛

Lughaidh
    Participant

Goidé ‘n chanúint nach gcuirtear séimhiú inti i ndiaidh “gan”?

Cúnla
    Participant

Tá an dá nós (.i. séimhiú ⁊ loime) coitianta sna canúintí Connachtacha atá ar eolas agamsa ar chaoi ar bith. Gheobhfá séimhiú mórán i gcónaí i nathanna áirithe ar nós gan mhoill, gan mhaith, ⁊rl., agus chluinfeá gan tsásamh, gan tsúil, freisin, ach is minic a bhítear anonn is anall idir an dá chleachtadh…

Douglas
    Participant

Thank you all so much; this is very helpful!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.