how would you say in Irish?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) how would you say in Irish?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I don’t have such a problem with “cuir ort do chuid Gaeilge”, which sounds more natural and is at least grammatically correct. I was actually thinking today about the English version of the construction “get your X on” and how there are two ways of interpreting this. The first is, as you say, like “get your clothes on”, etc. where you’re saying to physically put it on yourself. The other, which is how I interpret it in my head when I hear it, is like “get your drink on”, i.e. get something started, start to do something (it’s not really implied that you’re putting anything on yourself, but that the activity itself is commencing – “let’s get it on” is another example of this, where you’re saying let’s start doing “it”). “Get your Irish on” seems to fall more into the latter category, in my opinion, but it’s open to interpretation, I suppose.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Yes, of course, Héilics. 🙂 That’s what I meant as well. Sorry if I wasn’t quite clear in my post.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.