I need someone with good ears

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) I need someone with good ears

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Granted, most of this whole video I have a hard time understanding because the Irish is very thick Gaeltacht Irish, but the frustration for me is my inability to understand one part of this at the end, where the woman speaks very distinctly, something I usually don’t have much difficulty with at this point, so it’s been kind of driving me crazy that I have no clue what she’s saying in certain places

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-NPvxuTrE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-NPvxuTrE[/url]
    at 51:10
    “Ná bí ag caint ar Ghaeilge ______ an cheoil ____ Philomena Begley agus í ag ceiliúradh 50 blian i mbun a ceirde a bheidh mar chomhluadar ceolmhar ______ ?

The first blank sounds like “___ banríon”, the second sounds like “tíre” but that doesn’t make any sense (to me) and the last sounds like “agaibh _____” which again, doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. Usually I can figure these things out by context, but this is kind of driving me crazy, because it shouldn’t be this difficult for me. Any help would be appreciated.

eadaoin
    Participant

banríon and ceoilTíre are correct … she’s the Queen of country-music …
    I think agaibh is correct too … agaibh láithreach.

Onuvanja
    Participant

I hear “bhuel” (“well”) right before banríon, but that wouldn’t make much sense either…

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. “an cheoil tíre” does make sense now that I’m thinking of “tíre” as an adjective. “an cheoiltíre” (meaning something like “of the music world”) didn’t make any sense to me, as “tíre” is feminine. (Not to mention that usually “country music” I have seen as “ceol tuaithe”. “Ceol tíre” sounds like Béarlachas to me, but that’s beside the point 😉

The “bhuel” and what sounds like “láidreach” at the end (I considered “láithreach” but it really sounds like there’s a “d” in there) are still throwing me.

Thanks for both your help!

Cúnla
    Participant

Seo é an méid a chluinimse féin:

Ná bí ag caint ar Ghaeilge! Bhuel, banríon an cheoil tíre, Philomena Begley, agus í ag ceiliúradh caoga bliain i mbun a ceirde, a bheidh mar chomhluadar ceolmhar agaibh láithreach, agus cuirfidh seisear fear atá dífhostaithe seó le chéile go mbainfidh na mná sult as roimis a haon déag a chlog anocht: sin é an scannán “The Full Monty.”

Is dóigh liom gur ag caint ar shaibhreas na Gaeilge atá ag Máirtín Jaimsie atá sí (.i. an láithreoir) ar dtús sula gcoinníonn sí uirthi ag fógairt na gcláracha eile.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I see. That was part of what was hanging me up: I didn’t get how the first bit about Irish connected to the next part. Strange cadence, and strange pronunciation of “láithreach”. The rest about The Full Monty I understood. Maith thú, a Chúnla!

Is dóigh liom gur ag caint ar shaibhreas na Gaeilge atá ag Máirtín Jaimsie atá sí (.i. an láithreoir) ar dtús sula gcoinníonn sí uirthi ag fógairt na gcláracha eile.

nóÂ b’fhéidir go bhfógraíonn sé nach mbaineann an chéad chlár eile leis an teanga, ach leis an gceol?

Cúnla
    Participant

The way she says ⟨láithreach⟩ is common in many dialects, i.e., as though it were ⟨láirtheach⟩, wherein the “h” is transposed till after the other consonant in a sort of metathesis. Cf. also ⟨tráthnóna⟩ pronounced in various dialects as though it were ⟨tránthóna⟩, &c.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’ve heard plenty of people say “tráthnóna” as “tránthóna” but never heard anyone say put a “d” in the word “láithreach” (which is what she’s doing). Even transliterating her pronunciation as “láirtheach” isn’t accurate, I’m afraid. I don’t doubt there is a dialect somewhere where they say it how she is saying it, but it’s new to me.

Cúnla
    Participant

Hmm, just listened to it again, and it sounds to me like it might be an alveolar tap with “breathy voice” and aspiration, i.e., something like /ˈlÌªË É‘ËÉ¾Ì¤Ê²Ê°É™x/?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Probably right. From context at this point it’s clear she’s saying “láithreach” so the “d” I’m hearing must be a very heavy alveolar tap (d and r aren’t very far apart, phonetically), heavy enough that I keep hearing it as “láidreach” no matter how many times I listen to it, despite (now) knowing what word she’s saying.

Definitely not worth obsessing about too much – I’ll just accept that somewhere they say it that way and add it to the memory banks (hopefully) and know it when I hear it next 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.