Implied Direct Objects with Transitive Verbs

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Implied Direct Objects with Transitive Verbs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dáithí
    Participant

Does Irish allow the concept of an implied direct object when using a transitive verb? For example, in English one could write “my cousin wrote to me…” where the direct object “a letter” or “e-mail” is implied. Can such use or perhaps more appropriately, the concept, of an implied direct object exist in Irish? From what I can see, implied direct objects with transitive verbs are used in other languages besides English, like Spanish and Japanese, but is such practice forbidden in proper Irish?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Does Irish allow the concept of an implied direct object when using a transitive verb? For example, in English one could write “my cousin wrote to me…” where the direct object “a letter” or “e-mail” is implied.

I’d say in this case, “a letter” or “an e-mail” is implied in the speaker’s mind, but it’s not implied grammatically.

We were talking about ullmhú, but I think another verb with a similar problem is “nigh”.
    I guess you can say “I washed” in English (to say “I washed myself”). English is full of verbs like that, that don’t require a reflexive pronoun even though the action is being done on yourself.
    However, in Irish I don’t think you could say anything like “nigh mé” instead of “nigh mé mé féin”. Nor “caithfidh mé ní” instead of “caithfidh mé mé féin a ní”.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.