In Pursuit of Vouga: Seeking Name Gaelicization Advice

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) In Pursuit of Vouga: Seeking Name Gaelicization Advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NovumChase
    Participant

Hello all—

I have been learning Scottish Gaelic for some years, both academically and personally, though a recent job offer in Ireland has led me to shift to learning Gaeilge na hÉireann instead. I have been puzzling over how to fully render my name in Irish, though, and thought to ask.

My full name is Chase Neal Via. My “Via” ancestor came from Brittany, and family legend has connected the name to Saint Vouga (“Sant Vio” in Breton), a mythohistorical Irish saint who settled in Brittany. I would love to base my last name on this, but I cannot find any modernized Irish spelling for “Vouga” or “Vio”.

Are there any suggestions for approaching Gaelicizing my name? All the best, and thanks,

Chase

NovumChase
    Participant

It is only fitting that after months of searching, I found some further information only a few hours after starting this topic. The scholar John O’Hanlon connected Saint Vouga to St. Vogue’s in County Wexford; there, the name is rendered in Irish as “Feaca”. Would the form “Mac Giolla Fheaca” be appropriate as a Gaelicized surname derived from this? Trying to render my name in Irish would seem to produce a final form like “Niall Mac Giolla Fheaca”.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.