Independent clause preceded by dependent clause

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Independent clause preceded by dependent clause

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Duncan
    Participant

If I want to say “When he heard that, he got angry” I can, of course, rearrange the words and say “Tháinig fearg air nuair a chuala sé sin.” But suppose for emphasis I want to use the phrases in the order I used in English–I would imagine I could simply say “Nuair a chuala sé sin, tháinig fearg air.” Am I correct?

The reason I ask is that I have three nagging questions I’d like to clear up about this type of structure:
    1. Should I have introduced the independent clause with the a particle: “Nuair a chuala sé sin, a tháinig fearg air”? (I’ve been almost positive that a doesn’t belong here, but on the other hand I can see that it might be needed if the entire introductory clause is considered to be a modifier of tháinig.)
    2. I only thought about this question after I already composed the post: Should the opening clause be “nuair ar chuala sé?” I know that ar is used with regular verbs, but not with irregular verbs with a separate dependent past form; what about verbs like clois that are irregular but just have the one past form? I notice that when I googled sentences with “nuair ar chuala” I saw only one hit and that from a line in a song, but got several hits on “nuair a chuala.”
    3. Although I would normally use the comma in English, would this sentence look better in Irish without the comma? Thanks.

Cúnla
    Participant

If you really wanted to emphasize it, you might say something like: “níor thúisce a chuala sé é sin ná a tháinig fearg air,” “níor luaithe a chuala sé é sin ná a tháinig fearg air,” “(ar) an dá luath is a chuala sé é sin, tháinig fearg air,” &c.

Regarding your number one, no, the way you had it first was right.

You would normally have the comma in Irish in your second version, since they’re two independent clauses.

Labhrás
    Participant

If I want to say “When he heard that, he got angry” I can, of course, rearrange the words and say “Tháinig fearg air nuair a chuala sé sin.” But suppose for emphasis I want to use the phrases in the order I used in English–I would imagine I could simply say “Nuair a chuala sé sin, tháinig fearg air.” Am I correct?

Yes.

The reason I ask is that I have three nagging questions I’d like to clear up about this type of structure:
    1. Should I have introduced the independent clause with the a particle: “Nuair a chuala sé sin, a tháinig fearg air”? (I’ve been almost positive that a doesn’t belong here, but on the other hand I can see that it might be needed if the entire introductory clause is considered to be a modifier of tháinig.)

No particle at all.

2. I only thought about this question after I already composed the post: Should the opening clause be “nuair ar chuala sé?” I know that ar is used with regular verbs, but not with irregular verbs with a separate dependent past form; what about verbs like clois that are irregular but just have the one past form? I notice that when I googled sentences with “nuair ar chuala” I saw only one hit and that from a line in a song, but got several hits on “nuair a chuala.”

nuair is followed by a direct relative, i.e. always “[color=red]a[/color]” and no “[color=red]ar[/color]”.
    “[color=red]Ar[/color]” introduces only an indirect relative.

3. Although I would normally use the comma in English, would this sentence look better in Irish without the comma? Thanks.

Don’t know if there are special comma rules in Irish.

Duncan
    Participant

Thanks to both of you. I think that clears things up. Sorry about a lapse of memory with that second question, Labhrás. I often forget about the direct/indirect types of clause, so thanks for putting it in a way that’s easier to remember. I take this to mean that, although clois is an irregular verb, it just has the one past tense so I should choose a or ar the same way I would with a regular verb.

I like your suggestions for emphasis, Cúnla!
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

Hugo
    Participant

Adding the copula and removing the comma to emphasize the “when-ness”: “Ba nuair a chuala sé sin a tháinig fearg air”.

Duncan
    Participant

I hadn’t thought of that possibility; very good point for a way to achieve this. GRMA, Hugo.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.