Irish Court question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Antaine
    Participant

Dia daoibh! Tá súil agam go mbaineann sibh sult as mo webcomic, Ballinabricky. (www.ballinabricky.com)

Táim ag scríobh an scéal seo chugainn, agus tá ceist agam faoin trialacha Éireannaigh: an bhfuil cead ag aon duine a tharscaoileadh an ceart giúiréithe i gcás coiriúil?

Let me just make sure my question is clear: Is it possible in Ireland to waive one’s right to a jury in a criminal trial? In the US, under certain circumstances, a defendant may request a “bench trial,” where the case is settled by a judge instead of a jury.

As my comic takes place in 1936, I am particularly interested whether something like that would have been possible in the Free State, provided the rules were different then, but I’d appreciate answers that apply during any era of Irish judicial practice.

le buíochas,
    Antaine

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Not sure about the answer to your question, but I thought I’d offer a few corrections to your question: “scríobh an scéil” (genitive follows verbal noun), “faoi thrialacha Éireannacha” (although these aren’t the words I’d use, but that’s grammatically correct – “faoi chóras na cúirte in Éirinn” would probably be preferable), and “cead ag aon duine a cheart ar thriail le giúiré a tharscaoileadh” (object precedes “a” in this type of construction, and I think this is the more correct terminology for “trial by jury”). Someone may correct me on all this, but I think I am right.

Antaine
    Participant

go raibh maith agat 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.