Irish Dialect Soundbite request thread

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Irish Dialect Soundbite request thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Seosamh2012
    Participant

I apologise in advance if there exists a thread like this somewhere on the forum.
    I think this is a well needed thread on the forum, to help facilitate ease of search for pronunciations inaccessible or difficult to find on the internet.

I suggest, in this thread, that members make a request of a certain word or phrase (not in length, but a short sentence at most),
    and then a native speaker reply with an upload of a correctly spoken audio file, with any adjustments if necessary.

(There are many places to upload an audio soundbite if it cannot be uploaded directly on the forum)

The native speaker who replies should note his dialect and even the exact local area if possible. (eg. not simply Ulaidh, but Gaoth Dobhair)

I’ll make the first request, please.
    And I hope someone from Ulaidh can reply. grma.

… sa nGaeltacht de dheasca an chur chuige atá molta

from http://www.beo.ie/alt-aithnitear-cara-i-gcruatan.aspx

Cúnla
    Participant

There is forvo.com…

http://forvo.com/languages/ga/

Seosamh2012
    Participant

And how is Forvo organised by dialect?

It’s not consistent for a learner.

And secondly, the moderators should delete your post because it is off topic.
    Replies should only be by native speakers answering queries for pronunciation,
    or learners requesting soundbites.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Forvo isn’t specifically organized by dialect but it provides a map with the location of the speaker. So if you know the location of the dialect you can make an educated assumption about what dialect the speaker is using based on that map.

I don’t think Cúnla’s response really qualifies as “off topic”. Also, there are, to my knowledge, few native speakers here. I don’t mean to disparage you, but you are honestly going to find it challenging to get satisfactory responses here I think.

Both teanglann.ie and focloir.ie have lots of audio files which are definitely differentiated by dialect, so it definitely behooves you to check those sites before making a request here.

Seosamh2012
    Participant

[negative rubbish deleted] .

You have nothing positive to contribute to this thread — you are not a native speaker providing a pronunciation soundbite –

Moderators please delete these off topic comments.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

The fact that you think the two people who have tried helping you haven’t contributed anything and asked for their contributions to be deleted doesn’t reflect well upon you and probably isn’t likely to make anyone else want to help you. Just saying.

Seosamh2012
    Participant

The fact that you think the two people who have tried helping you haven’t contributed anything and asked for their contributions to be deleted doesn’t reflect well upon you and probably isn’t likely to make anyone else want to help you. Just saying.

Héilics Órbhuí why are you posting again here? Get lost.

Moderators, this is one of the most annoying, negative fools on this forum.
    Please delete the off topic comments.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Best of luck to you.

Seáinín
    Participant

Is amadáin muid go leir anseo, a Sheosamh2012. Mar a dúirt Héilics, go n-néirí an t-ádh leat.

Seosamh2012
    Participant

Is amadáin muid go leir anseo, a Sheosamh2012. Mar a dúirt Héilics, go n-néirí an t-ádh leat.

what a childish post. You are also off topic.
    If you’re not a native speaker with a sound bite to upload here in response, then why are you posting on this thread?
    It’s not a sign of intelligence if you can’t follow the instructions I laid out in the original post.

Moderators — please delete the rubbish off topic posts and simply leave the OP so that some intelligent native speaker – if he or she so decides to do– will reply to the post. Thank you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.