Irish for “The Irish Druid”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Irish for “The Irish Druid”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Des Nolan
    Participant

Dia dhaoibh,

Táim ag lorg aistriú shimplí ó Bhéarla go dtí Gaeilge.
    (Looking for some simple translations.)

(An) Irish Druid = Draoi Éireannach seems right.

But would “The Irish Druid” be the same?

Basically looking for it as Business/Personal Title for a “business/introduction” card.

Go raibh maith agat,

Deasúin Ó Nualáin

Onuvanja
    Participant

“Draoi Éireannach” is perfectly correct. Alternatively, you could also say “Draoi Gaelach” (“Irish/Irish-speaking Druid”). If you added the definite article (An Draoi Éireannach), you would imply you’re the only Irish Druid in the whole world/within the group. On the other hand, if you consider yourself merely one of many Irish druids, you should leave the definite article out. Hope that helps!

Labhrás
    Participant

“Draoi Éireannach” is perfectly correct. Alternatively, you could also say “Draoi Gaelach” (“Irish/Irish-speaking Druid”). If you added the definite article (An Draoi Éireannach), you would imply you’re the only Irish Druid in the whole world/within the group. On the other hand, if you consider yourself merely one of many Irish druids, you should leave the definite article out. Hope that helps!

But there’s no difference to English in the usage of the article

draoi Éireannach = an Irish druid
    an draoi Éirannach = the Irish druid.

Des Nolan
    Participant

Dia dhaoibh

From both replies it looks like I’m good.

(I’m kind of thinking along the lines Des is “The Irish Druid” in the Gaelic-American Club, and I am the only one there claiming that, to my knowledge. But may switch back and for the between using the definite article and not.)

Go raibh maith agat.

Deas

(Deasúin Ó Nualáin)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.