Language/30 recording?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brus
    Participant

What pronunciation/dialect is used on this?

The Amazon reviews mention Munster, but then mention Pimsleur, so I’m not sure if they’re actually referring to the Language/30 course.

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

I’ve got the Language 30 booklet that comes with the audio, but I haven’t got the audio itself, and it doesn’t look like Munster Irish at all. The pronunciation guide says it all – Here are a few words that I picked at random:

uisce – ISH-kye
    tuilleadh – TILL-yah
    dul a chodladh – dull a CHULL-a

If I ever start pronouncing like that in Irish, just shoot me! :sick:

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

That’s usually how I hear this pronounced. I don’t know what to say about the others though.. never heard anyone say these with the “y” glide that way before.

Dáithí
    Participant

Maybe the y is there to signify slender consonants?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

That’s usually how I hear this pronounced. I don’t know what to say about the others though.. never heard anyone say these with the “y” glide that way before.

The “ch” is supposed to be like the “ch” sound in English. When they show the Irish “ch” sound, they spell it with “kh”.

Here are some examples from the book:

deoch – jukh
    tine – CHIN-e
    an t-seachtain seo chaite – un TSHOCKH-tin shuh CHOTCH-eh

Wow, these “pronunciations” are actually painful to look at! :sick:

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Oh… LOL. Nevermind. I thought they were saying “KHULLA”, which isn’t far from the actual pronunciation.

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Whew! You kinda scared me when you said, “That’s usually how I hear this pronounced” – heh, heh. :ohh:

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

It makes me think the text is probably just badly proof-read. I can’t realistically see anyone who is even an intermediate level student thinking “chaite” is said started with the same sound as in the word “church”. But regardless, it doesn’t appear to be a very good reference for pronunciation.

yobar23
    Participant

I have a 2-cassette 1986 copy of the Language/30 Irish and digitized it years ago. I’ve uploaded side one of cassette one so that one of you may enlighten us as to the accents of the various speakers.

http://bayfiles.com/file/N32D/vyzjNy/01_-_Irish_-_side_01.mp3

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Well, they are pronouncing the words correctly (I didn’t listen to the whole thing, but what I heard sounded accurate). I am no expert on dialects – I couldn’t tell you where they’re from, if they’re native. Although people don’t actually speak that slowly and mechanically anywhere, obviously.

Onuvanja
    Participant

The “ch” is supposed to be like the “ch” sound in English. When they show the Irish “ch” sound, they spell it with “kh”.

Here are some examples from the book:

deoch – jukh
    tine – CHIN-e
    an t-seachtain seo chaite – un TSHOCKH-tin shuh CHOTCH-eh

Wow, these “pronunciations” are actually painful to look at! :sick:

Pronunciation apart, I think it should read “an tseachtain seo caite”. 🙂 Didn’t manage to listen to the file, but pronunciations like “jukh” and “CHIN-e” would point towards Ulster Irish, unless this is just a convenient shortcut for not having to learn the slender variants of “d” and “t”…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.