Leabhar Nua

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Cheannaigh mé leabhar nua ó Litriocht.com, An Phluais Ama le Claire Dagger. Táim ag foghlaim stór focal mar sin beidh mé in ann leabhar a léamh. Tá an leabhar seo spéisiúil. An raibh leabhar seo á léamh agaibh? (An ceart é sin?) Is breá liom é an dán ag an dtús. 🙂

Agus…

Cad is bríonna uile le “Caith” agus “Caitheamh,” nó “caithfidh”? Cuir an briathar seo mearbhall orm. (An ceart é sin?)

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Lughaidh
    Participant

Cad is bríonna uile le “Caith” agus “Caitheamh,” nó “caithfidh”? Cuir an briathar seo mearbhall orm. (An ceart é sin?)

to wear
    to smoke (tobacco)
    to throw
    to spend (time)
    to have to (in the future tense)

Seáinín
    Participant

to have to (in the future AND conditional tenses)

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, a Lughaidh. I found most of those meanings in the dictionary, but I’m having trouble with seeing it in an actual sentence…maybe I can find an example. I guess It’s that my mind is needing to translate it somehow and it’s not meeting up somewhere between the meanings and what it should mean when translated…I guess the word is somewhat idiomatic.

The only example I can find so far is this sentence…which really isn’t the most trouble for me.

Bíonn saighdiúirí Chasa ar a dtóir i gcaitheamh an ama.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

i gcaitheamh = in the course of

If it helps in keeping consistency with your “inner translation”, you could think of it as meaning “in the spending/expenditure of”.

Cúnla
    Participant

I guess the word is somewhat idiomatic.

Yeah, caith can mean all manner of things…

A Shéiril,

If you need examples, here are some… Beware of amateur-like mistakes though. B)

An gcaithfimid toitín? = Shall we smoke a cigarette?
    Caithim éadaí dhubha amháin. = I only wear black clothes.
    Ná caith an oiread sin uisce ar an sorn. = Don’t throw that much water on the stove.
    Caithim a lán ama le ríomhairí. = I spend a lot of time with computers.

Special case: To have to. Only future and conditional.

Caithfidh mé brocailí a cheannach. = I have to buy broccoli.
    Dá gheobhainn brocailí, chaithinn im a cheannach freisin. = If I found/got (“would find/get”) broccoli, I would have to buy butter too.

As far as I know the “tá ar (subj) (obj) a (verbal noun + lenition)” formula, “must” has to be used for the other moods and tenses, notably past. Wiser people than me are required to say whether the following structures are valid or not:

An gcaithfidh mé X a dhéanamh mura bhfuil fonn orm? (do I have to do X unless I want to?)
    Ní chaithfidh mé …OR… níl orm (I don’t have/need to)
    Nach gcaithfidh mé …OR… nach bhfuil orm (don’t I have to)

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, a Fhionlannach Fiosrach.

That does help a good bit to see all the different meanings in examples. 🙂

Also…on the matter of new books…Chéannaigh mé An Táin (úrscéal grafach) freisin. 🙂

Seosamh
    Participant

If you want just one equivalent English word to translate the Irish word “caith”, then consider the word “consume”. Therefore people “consume” such things as money, clothes, drink, food, time, stones and bullets (in so far as they consume the energy of stones and bullets when they throw or fire them!).

True, and tobacco in its various forms as well. And, water thrown on the sauna stove can be seen as consumed, too.

Seosamh
    Participant

Rinne mé dearmad ar an tabac agus, ar ndóigh, substaintí eile nach é.

The line between consuming and wasting (as it comes to money) is thin and quite like drawn on the surface of water… but then, at least in American TV shows they often say something along the lines of “… just wasted him behind the corner and walked off…”
    So, the bullet becomes consumed and the victim becomes wasted in the process, but isn’t caith in such a case associated directly with the victim, and not with the intermediate object (bullet)?

Seosamh
    Participant

Chaith mé roinnt urchar ina threo. I fired a few shots in his direction. Assuming I have a really bad aim, then the bullets were wasted, even if the putitive victim, in American gangster parlance, was not.

Feicim. GRMA!

B)

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh! Those explanations certainly help. 🙂

Oh, I’m curious if anyone has read either of the books I mentioned above (An Phuais Ama…agus…An Táin)?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.