Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Séamas79
    Participant

Hello, I bought Learning Irish some years back, and made a little progress, but a whole lot of life happened and I gave it up. I still have it, but no longer have a tape recorder. Are there any substantial changes to the book and CDs? I am disabled, so every penny counts, if you know what I mean. Should I just get a cheap tape recorder and go at it, or is there any way to get the CDs only (provided they follow the book edition I have; it is a 2000 reprint)?

Looking forward to learning again,

James

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

I know nothing about the new edition, but I wouldn’t spend the extra money if you are still at the “beginner” stage. The changes are likely to be subtle and only important to someone at a more advanced stage.

Seáinín
    Participant

In the 2006 reprint, which I studied from, there is a foreward to the 3rd edition. It’s not clear which of the printings (1996, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006) align with the 3rd edition, but it is the only additional forward included in this printing. It says: “I would like to express my thanks to my friend Dr. Arndt Wigger for his assistance in enhancing the typography and design of this third edition of Learning Irish. While these improvements along with some minor updating of the material have resulted in changes in the pagination, the text of the previous edition remains essentially unaltered.”

I’m guessing there are no significant differences between the version of the text you have and this latest 2006 printing. I’ve looked briefly and have not found a source of the CDs alone. I bet there are thousands of unused tape players laying around in dusty corners, waiting for someone like you who will make use of them again.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Actually I have the mp3s of the recordings of Learning Irish…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.