míongháire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fuinseog
    Participant

Is it correct to use ‘míongháire’ (smile) in the following forms:

The smile of the sun/ Míongháire na gréine.

The smiling sun/Míongháireacht na gréine.

The sun smiling / An ghrian ag míonghaire.

GRMA

Fuinseog

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Watch your spelling of the word. There’s no fada over the first i.

I’ve never seen it used that way before but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I have never seen it used after “ag”. Usually it is “ag déanamh miongháire”.

Of the three sentences you gave, the first one is the one that strikes me most as being potentially authentic, but I am unaware if the “smiling” of the sun is a visual that exists in Irish. But the full answer is I don’t really know. As long as it’s grammatically correct, I guess there’s no real reason you can’t use it.

Fuinseog
    Participant

Grma. Yes, I’m prone to spelling mistakes, but usually with the fada I seem to leave it out!

Fuinseog

Labhrás
    Participant

Is it correct to use ‘míongháire’ (smile) in the following forms:

The smile of the sun/ Míongháire na gréine.

The smiling sun/Míongháireacht na gréine.

The sun smiling / An ghrian ag míonghaire.

GRMA

Fuinseog

I don’t know if the sun could smile at all in Irish, i.e. if this trope exists in the language.

miongháire is a noun, it is not a verbal noun or verb, so: Déanann tú miongháire, tá tú ag déanamh miongháire.
    Or: Déanann tú meangadh gáire; Tagann fáthadh gháire ort.

The word “miongháireacht” doesn’t exist – but if it would, it would not mean “smiling” in the sense of an attribute.
    Smiling as an attributive adjective is aoibhiúil, gealgháireach: an ghrian ghealgháireach, an ghrian le haoibh an gháire.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

That’s correct. I think the OP was assuming that since “gáire” IS a verbal noun, that “miongáire” is as well, which isn’t a bad assumption but in this case I believe an incorrect one. And correct about “miongáireacht” as well. It is a word that could exist, but it would mean something like “smileyness, or the act of smiling”.

Fuinseog
    Participant

grma aríst,

I like an ghrian ghealgháireach!

So, just to double check, an ghrian ghealgháireach has a meaning of ‘the smiling sun’. Have I taken the right meaning?

Fuinseog

Fuinseog
    Participant

Maybe a better interpretation of ‘an ghrian ghealgháireach’ would be ‘the radiant sun’. ??
    fuinseog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.