Mnathan etymology

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Participant

Anyone know what mnathan is derived from and how it relates to bean?

charlie
    Participant

I’m aware the Irish equivialent of mnthan is mná but I presume same etymology.

Labhrás
    Participant

Anyone know what mnathan is derived from and how it relates to bean?

McBain’s Etymological Dictionary:

bean, wife, so Ir., O. Ir. ben, W. bun, benyw, Cor. benen, sponsa, Celtic benâ, g. bnâs, pl. n. bnâs ; Gr. gyné, BÅ“ot. Gr. baná, Got. ginô, Eng. queen, Sc. queyn, Skr. gnâ

Celtic benâ, genitive bnâs

benâ -> bean
    bnâs -> mná

-than plural suffix.

charlie
    Participant

Cheers
    Is there any reason why no other words don’t work the same way (you’ll need to excuse my ignorance).

Is it cause it was so common a word it carried on through and survived other language changes.

Thanks again

Charlie

Onuvanja
    Participant

benâ -> bean
    bnâs -> mná

-than plural suffix.

Labhrás, would you happen to know if this is a purely Scottish Gaelic suffix or did the form “mnathan” at some point also exist in Irish Gaelic? I thought the plural form was “mná” already in Classical Old Irish…

Labhrás
    Participant

benâ -> bean
    bnâs -> mná

-than plural suffix.

Labhrás, would you happen to know if this is a purely Scottish Gaelic suffix or did the form “mnathan” at some point also exist in Irish Gaelic? I thought the plural form was “mná” already in Classical Old Irish…

I don’t know if other plural forms of “bean” beside “mná” (/mna:/, /mra:/) exist or existed in Irish.
    I guess the Irish equivalent for -an is -anna , The th in Scottish Gaelic -than is probably silent and due to the hiatus between mna- and -an .
    -an is a frequent plural suffix in Gàidhlig, much more so than Irish -anna, so I’m not surprised about “mnathan”.

Labhrás
    Participant

Is it cause it was so common a word it carried on through and survived other language changes.

Yes, certainly.
    Irregular forms are most common in the most frequent words. in every language.

charlie
    Participant

Cheers, wiser, a wee bit and a big bit 😉

Beannacht dhuit

Charlie

Onuvanja
    Participant

benâ -> bean
    bnâs -> mná

-than plural suffix.

I don’t know if other plural forms of “bean” beside “mná” (/mna:/, /mra:/) exist or existed in Irish.
    I guess the Irish equivalent for -an is -anna , The th in Scottish Gaelic -than is probably silent and due to the hiatus between mna- and -an .
    -an is a frequent plural suffix in Gàidhlig, much more so than Irish -anna, so I’m not surprised about “mnathan”.

Ah, that’s interesting! So technically, “mnathan” has two plular markers – the special plural stem “mna” plus the plural ending “-an”. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.