Na Gaeltachtaí

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    brianclerk
    Participant

Hi could someone please help me translate the following:

‘I think it is more important to preserve the Gaeltachts already in existence/we already have’

Is this correct?:
    ‘Ceapaim go bhfuil sé níos tábhachtaí na Gaeltachtaí atá ann cheana féin a chaomhnú’

brianclerk
    Participant

Oh and this also:

‘Without the Gaeltachts, the language would die’

‘Gan na Gaeltachtaí, bheadh an teanga bás’?

Onuvanja
    Participant

Oh and this also:

The first half of the sentence is correct. The second half should read “gheobhadh an teanga bás”. Instead of “gan na Gaeltachtaí”, you could also say “marach na Gaeltachtaí, though this would slightly change the meaning (“marach” – “if it weren’t for”).

The other sentence you posted was correct, I think.

Jonas
    Participant

Oh and this also:

Gan na Gaeltachtaí, gheobhaidh an teanga bás.

Labhrás
    Participant

Oh and this also:

B’fhearr liom:
    Murach na Gaeltachtaí ….

Onuvanja
    Participant

Oh and this also:

Not “gheobhaidh”, but “gheobhadh”, I would say, as “would” is a conditional form.

Jonas
    Participant

Oh and this also:

Not “gheobhaidh”, but “gheobhadh”, I would say, as “would” is a conditional form.

Of course, silly typo from me as it changes the meaning and makes me seem more pessimistic than I am. Thanks for spotting it.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Definitely murach 🙂

Jonas
    Participant

Definitely murach 🙂

Well… 😉 ‘Murach na Gaeltachtaí’ is more elegant, just as “If it weren’t for the Gaeltachts” sounds more elegant in my ears. But to say “Without the Gaeltachts, Irish would be dead”, as Brian said, I think there isn’t anything that I wouldn’t consider correct Irish except for changing “bheadh — bás” to “gheobhadh— bás”. Then we can of course discuss literary styles in Irish as in any other language, but both options are correct Irish.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Mara mbeadh na Gaeltachtaí, gheobhadh an teanga bás

Am I missing something, or is this grammatically incorrect? Seems you’re missing a word.
    “mara mbeadh na gaeltachtaí ____ (ann?) , gheobhadh an teanga bás”

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

Mara mbeadh na Gaeltachtaí, bhí an teanga marbh fadó = Only for the Gaeltachtaí, the language would have died long ago

Hi Carmanach, I was wondering a bit about this.

As far as I know the conditional has its usual (not sure of the correct terminology for
    something unmarked for aspect) meaning and a perfect meaning.

Dá bhfeicfinn é, do labharfainn leis
    This can mean:
    If I saw him, I would speak to him
    and
    If I had seen him, I would have spoken to him.

Is using the past in the main clause another way of conveying the perfective meaning?

We also originally had a distinction between past subjuncitve and conditional:
    mara mbíodh sé (if it hadn’t been) vs mara mbeadh sé (if it were/would be)
    Is that used anywhere today? I don’t know

I heard from a seanachaí in An Buailtín that although he would recognise it, he wouldn’t
    say it. A few people in Dún Chaoin said the same thing. Although I know Dónall Ó hÉalaithe (from
    recordings and Irisleabhar Mhá Nuad) and others in Cork (from speaking to them) do
    use it to some degree.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Am I missing something, or is this grammatically incorrect? Seems you’re missing a word.

No, there’s no missing word. See Ó Dónaill, Dinneen and GGBC for other examples.

Well, I’m not going to argue with you, because I’ve seen how productive that is. But I think you’re wrong. It sounds to me like saying “tá na Gaeltachtaí”. I’ll look for examples that confirm this construction, but I’ve never seen it before.

Edit: it appears, there is one example in O’Donaill which supports this use: “mura mbeadh mise” = were it not for me. Personally I don’t understand this – from my understanding it would have had to be “murach mise”. The other seems like an incomplete clause to me.

Hugo
    Participant

No, there’s no missing word. See Ó Dónaill, Dinneen and GGBC for other examples.

Well, I’m not going to argue with you, because I’ve seen how productive that is. But I think you’re wrong. It sounds to me like saying “tá na Gaeltachtaí”. I’ll look for examples that confirm this construction, but I’ve never seen it before.

Edit: it appears, there is one example in O’Donaill which supports this use: “mura mbeadh mise” = were it not for me. Personally I don’t understand this – from my understanding it would have had to be “murach mise”. The other seems like an incomplete clause to me.

I recently learned that “murach” itself is a contraction of “mura (muna) mbeadh”. “Mura mbeadh” here seems to function as a kind of conjunction(al phrase).

Mura mbeadh na Gaeltachtai = If it were not for/only for the Gaeltachts

but

Mura mbeadh na Gaeltachtai ann = If the Gaeltachts didn’t exist

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

nm

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Thanks, Hugo, I think I get it now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.