New here

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Deb
    Participant

Hi….is mise Deb. I was wondering if anyone , other than myself, is a complete beginner
    and if so, if they are using The Irish People’s lessons to learn Irish?
    Grma

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

I’m no longer considered a beginner, I’m sure, but that site and its lessons were some of the first ones I came across for free in my initial searches for lessons in Irish. They are very basic, but I think they can be a good place to start.

Personally I’ve found that having many different kinds of learning tools is often the best way to get as close to immersion as you can. Online dictionaries are useful, but I’ve found you need to have several in order to get the most amount of definitions/terms, and I always have a paperback bilingual dictionary with me as well.

And if you’re really serious, there are some programs out there such as Rosetta Stone Gaeilge that are definately worth the money, but can be a bit pricey.

I certainly hope you find all you need to keep learning Gaeilge. Agus fáilte go an fóram seo! 🙂
    Go n-éirí leat!
    Séril

Deb
    Participant

Grma mo Chara! It’s a pity I can’t find active language sites online.
    If there was some place I could practice what I’ve learned with others ,
    I’m sure I would learn faster. Maybe someday …:-)
    Oh, forgot to mention, I am also watching Róss NA Rún and that helps
    a great deal with hearing the language.
    Grma for your help. I greatly appreciate it! Slàn

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Watching TG4 and listening to Radió na Gaeltacht are great tools to listening to pronunciation and learning just the sound of the words. I’ve also found useful that if you go on TG4’s website, you can watch whole episodes of the kids shows. The speaking is usually slower on the kids shows and most of them are animated so you can relate what they are saying to what they are doing…plus they are sometimes just fun to watch. I watched Spongebob Squarepants when I was younger and watching it in Gaeilge is just too cool sometimes. 🙂

I also found a group on Facebook that is called Gael Skype. I think it is good practice to talk with others who are learning. Though another member here on this forum did make a good point that learners speaking with learners isn’t a good way to learn pronunciation and natural grammar. It’s a good excuse to speak more often, especially when you aren’t around any other native speakers. You may even find a native speaker on Skype willing to patiently speak with learners.

Deb
    Participant

Grma mo Chara, I will give it a go 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

A small point Deb:

When addressing a friend you say “a Chara” where “a” in this case is something called the vocative particle.

See here:
    http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/subst2.htm#vokativverwend

and look for vocative.

“mo chara” means my friend but is not used as a form of address.

If you want to emphasise the “myness” you could say “A chara liom”

Ádh mór leis an bhfoghlaim.

Deb
    Participant

Can you tell I am a beginner ? lol. Go raibh maith agat a Chara liom 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.