“No more… “

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Cén chaoi a chuirtear é seo in iúil?

Ar nós:
    “No more stealing for food”
    “No more smoking cigarettes”.

Onuvanja
    Participant

I think the second one is fairly straighforward: “éirigh as na toitíní”, “(tá) deireadh leis na toitíní” etc. I’m not sure about the first one, though. Perhaps something like “ná bí ag brath ar an ngadaíocht le maireachtáil”?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I think you are misunderstanding the type of phrase or the meaning of the phrases. I’m not looking for a command, as you’re translating. I appreciate the input, but it’s not really what I had in mind.

I’m curious if there is an actual Irish idiom or construction that approximates the type of declaration that these sentences represent. It’s not an order or an indicative phrase: it’s a sentiment that isn’t directed at anyone. As in “No more smoking cigarettes (for me)”.

The closest I could think of was something like “Gan chaitheamh toitíní feasta”, if that helps. It’s entirely possible that this kind of thing doesn’t exist in Irish, but I’m trying to get as close as I can.

aonghus
    Participant

Tá mé ag éirí as X
    Tá deireadh le X feasta domsa
    Tá mé ag tabhairt cúl le X
    Ní dhéanfaidh mé X níos mó

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I see, so there is no impersonal or general declaration as there is in English.

aonghus
    Participant

Scríobh tú:

“No more smoking cigarettes (for me)”.

D’fheadfaí:

Deireadh le X
    Cúl le X

a rá, is dócha; braitheann sé, mar is iondúil ar chomhthéacs.

aonghus
    Participant
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Ceart agat. “Deireadh le X” atá an leagan is fearr, sílim. GRMA 😉

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Sampla san foclóir nua anseo:
    http://www.focloir.ie/ga/dictionary/ei/more?q=no+more+sth#more__33

OOOOh, nice! Ní bhíonn mé ag smaoineamh faoin gceann nua, mar gheall ar an inneachair laghdaithe, ach is feicim go bhfuil sé úsáideach go mór in ainneoin de sin :O

aonghus
    Participant

Tá, leoga.

Tá na rudaí atá ann fíor mhaith.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Feicim gur neart mór é dóÂ ná an stór nathanna cainte agus iad cóirithe go breá.

Cúnla
    Participant

Diabhal a ngoidfead feasta.

Toitín ní chaithfead feasta.

⁊rl. freisin.

aonghus
    Participant

Tá pearsa agat ansin arís; bhí Héilics ag lorg leagan gan phearsa.

Ach is maith liom na leaganacha úd.

Cúnla
    Participant

so there is no impersonal or general declaration as there is in English

I’m not sure that the English is really ‘impersonal’—even if you don’t specify who you’re talking about in the examples you give, in real life you’d obviously have at least some sort of context… I mean, even to include “no more” you need to have knowledge of some specific person stealing or smoking cigarettes.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

so there is no impersonal or general declaration as there is in English

I’m not sure that the English is really ‘impersonal’—even if you don’t specify who you’re talking about in the examples you give, in real life you’d obviously have at least some sort of context… I mean, even to include “no more” you need to have knowledge of some specific person stealing or smoking cigarettes.

It is impersonal. There’s no subject or anything like that specified (despite that it might be present in context). It’s possible wherever you live they don’t say the same type of thing and you’re misunderstanding the meaning here.

There is an internet meme surrounding the movie “The Dark Knight” that I think helps indicate the sense here: “No moar dead cops! [sic]” No one is saying who is killing these cops or why they’re dying. They’re simply saying that there should simple BE no more of them. Again, this is almost undoubtedly an English expression that doesn’t translate well to Irish, but I am seeking the closest approximation (which IS necessarily impersonal if the original sentiment is to be maintained).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.