“Nuair a theaganns…?”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “Nuair a theaganns…?”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Seáinín
    Participant

In O’Siadhail, ceacht 32, exercise A.1. is the following line:

“Nuair a theaganns strainséaraí anseo, bionn fáilte againn rompu.” I translate this to mean “When strangers come here, we welcome them.” I’m wondering, though, about the form of teara given as “theaganns”. Is this a typo? Shouldn’t it be “theagann” without the ‘s’? Note that this is blas Chois Fhairrge.

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Lughaidh
    Participant

The -s shows that it’s the direct relative form. Ie. teagann is preceded by the relative “a” that lenites, so it may become “theaganns”. The direct relative form is not mandatory but it’s very common in Connemara and Ulster.

Seáinín
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, a Lughaidh.

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

The -s shows that it’s the direct relative form. Ie. teagann is preceded by the relative “a” that lenites, so it may become “theaganns”. The direct relative form is not mandatory but it’s very common in Connemara and Ulster.

I wouldn’t be able to explain it like Lughaidh. He’s right, the “s” is common in Conamara.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Interesting…I haven’t seen an “s” added anywhere before.

Seáinín
    Participant

Ó Siadhail writes about this in Learning Irish. It took Lughaidh’s information to set me on the right track.

From page 57 of L.I., in the section titled Direct Relative Clauses: “A broad s is added to the present habitual, e.g. a bhionns, and to the future, e.g. a bheas (from beidh; in spelling -idh is replaced by -(e)as) of all forms which are not combined… Combined forms do not add s, e.g. Tá an fear a thigim go deas. ‘The man whom I understand is nice.’

And he gives examples of when the s is added:

Feicim an fear a bhíonns sásta. (‘I see the man who (normally) is satisfied.’)
    Feicim an fear a bheas sásta. (‘I see the man who will be satisfied.’)

Unfortunately he doesn’t give examples using any other verb but , so it was a little confusing to run into theaganns 20 lessons later.

Mair agus foghlaim!

Labhrás
    Participant

Interesting…I haven’t seen an “s” added anywhere before.

It is a combination of -ann + -as, used in Connacht and Ulster.
    An older and more “standardized” version is the simple ending -as/-eas:
    nuair a thagas instead of nuair a theaganns.
    You might have already seen the form a leanas (= what follows) even in Standard Irish texts.
    -as/-eas is used in Ulster Irish (besides -anns/-eanns), too (i.e. nuair a thigeas)

In future tense only -fas/-feas is used in both dialects: nuair a thiocfas, a bhainfeas, a leanfas, etc.

Magh Ithe
    Participant

Ó Siadhail writes about this in Learning Irish. It took Lughaidh’s information to set me on the right track.

From page 57 of L.I., in the section titled Direct Relative Clauses: “A broad s is added to the present habitual, e.g. a bhionns, and to the future, e.g. a bheas (from beidh; in spelling -idh is replaced by -(e)as) of all forms which are not combined… Combined forms do not add s, e.g. Tá an fear a thigim go deas. ‘The man whom I understand is nice.’

Unfortunately he doesn’t give examples using any other verb but , so it was a little confusing to run into theaganns 20 lessons later.

Mair agus foghlaim!

I’m a little confused. Isn’t the use of bhíonn itself indicative that we are talking about the habitual?
    From what I’ve learned so far, = is (ie. at present) but substituting with bhíonn gives the sense of “bes” in the sense of it usually is that way.

Labhrás
    Participant

Mair agus foghlaim!

I’m a little confused. Isn’t the use of bhíonn itself indicative that we are talking about the habitual?

Yes. But here we talk about the relative form of the habitual:

bíonn an fear sásta = the man is (normally) satisfied
    an fear a bhíonns sásta = the man who is (normally) satisfied

compare with:

tá an fear sásta = the man is satisfied
    an fear atá sásta = the man who is satisfied

Magh Ithe
    Participant

Yes. But here we talk about the relative form of the habitual:

bíonn an fear sásta = the man is (normally) satisfied
    an fear a bhíonns sásta = the man who is (normally) satisfied

compare with:

tá an fear sásta = the man is satisfied
    an fear atá sásta = the man who is satisfied

Ok thanks, that makes a bit more sense to me now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.