painting title translation check

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) painting title translation check

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Antaine
    Participant

I’m working on my next painting (one of an uilleann piper). I’d like to call it “The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn,” but I’m not sure the correct way to render it with the double genitive and whatnot. Are any of these correct?

an píobaire ag geataí na breactha
    an píobaire ag geataí na breacadh
    an píobaire ag geataí breactha an lae
    an píobaire ag geataí breacadh an lae

GRMA

aonghus
    Participant

I think this one: “an píobaire ag geataí breacadh an lae”

But the concept feels clunky in Irish because “breacadh an lae” is describing an action and teh gates ofg an action don’t really make sense,

Do you need the Gate metaphor? Otherwise how about

An Píobaire ag Fáinne an Lae”?

Or use maidneachan

http://potafocal.com/Metasearch.aspx?Text=maidneachan&GotoID=focloirbeag

An Píobaire ag Geataí an Mhaidneachain

Antaine
    Participant

Hm. I’m going for the Pink Floyd reference, so it’s got to be “piper at the gates of dawn.” Is there another word that would be acceptable for “daybreak” or “dawn” or maybe (as a last resort) “sunrise” that would function as a noun instead of a verb?

aonghus
    Participant

Yes! Maidneachan

Or Camhaoir but that is rarer

http://potafocal.com/Metasearch.aspx?Text=camhaoir&GotoID=focloirbeag

Antaine
    Participant

so perhaps

“an píobaire ag geataí na mhaidneachain” (it is na and not an there with the genitive, right?)

aonghus
    Participant

No. Maidneachan is masculine so the article stays as “an” (but the séimhiú is wrong, sorry)

An Píobaire ag Geataí an Maidneachain

Antaine
    Participant

Super. I think I like that one the best, but before I commit, what would be the shading on the difference in meaning between maidneachan and camhaoir?

aonghus
    Participant

I only know camhaoir from the dictionary – maidneachan is not used often either since “breacadh an lae” or “éirí na greine” is commoner – but maidneachan is fairly obvious.

Onuvanja
    Participant

No. Maidneachan is masculine so the article stays as “an” (but the séimhiú is wrong, sorry)

An Píobaire ag Geataí an Maidneachain

Sorry, Aonghus, but shouldn’t it be “ag Geataí an Mhaidneachain” with séimhiú on “maidneachain”, since masculine nouns normally take séimhiú in the genitive case?

aonghus
    Participant

Damn.

I knew I should have gone with my first gut instinct. I will defer to better knowledge . When I try to think about grammar I foul up. I normally work on (neo)native instinct and don’t get things too badly wrong.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Ná bíodh imní ort, a Aonghus! B’fhearr liom do chuid Gaeilge a bheith agam ná aon eolas ar an ngramadach. 😉

“An maidneachan” is a masculine noun, belonging to the 1st declension. In order to form the genitive, it takes séimhiú on the initial consonant and turns the final broad consonant into a slender one. So the title should read:

“An Píobaire ag Geataí an Mhaidneachain”

For more examples of 1st declension nouns, here’s a link to Lars’ grammar.
    http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm

aonghus
    Participant

Maith agat!

Antaine
    Participant

go raibh maith agaibh, a chairde!

Antaine
    Participant

Here’s the finished painting (well, I did lighten the dog’s back a bit and add a shadow for him after I took this photo).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.