Prep. with Autonomous

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Murchadh
    Participant

What form of the preposition is used with the automnomous form of a verb where they are used together to express a meaning? e.g. “mothuighim uaim“, “I miss” > “mothuightear [color=red]____?[/color]” “One misses” etc.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I don’t think it exists in Irish at all, nor in any Celtic language except certain Breton dialects 🙂
    In this case you may say “mothaigheann duine uaidh / daoine uathu”…

Onuvanja
    Participant

No idea. I suppose you could paraphrase it, for example, by using the word “an té” (“he who”). “Mothaíonn an té atá ina chónaí thar lear a mhuintir uaidh”. But I fear that doesn’t answer your question.

Murchadh
    Participant

Thanks to you both for the informative responses.

Seáinín
    Participant

Kinda makes sense. I think of the prepositional pronouns as being, by definition, compounds of prepositions and personal pronouns, so there would be no application in the impersonal realm of autonomous verb conjugations. (Don’t mind me, just thinking it through out loud.)

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah, aside from the fact that it’s not really theoretically possible within the confines of what I understand of the grammar, I have just never encountered it (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen – I’m no expert – but if Lughaidh says he’s never seen it either, I think it’s probably something people don’t say).

Btw, there is an actual verb which also means “to miss” – cronaigh, and you can use that in the impersonal.

cronófar gó mór é.
    he’ll be greatly missed.
    (from beo.ie)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.