Preposition “from” in Ulster dialect.

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Preposition “from” in Ulster dialect.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

Does anyone know for sure the Ulster pronunciation of the “from” prepositions? Most specifically, “uaidh”? I’d like to know all of them though, if you know. I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find a straight answer.

tiomluasocein
    Participant

In Gaeilge Theilinn (Ulster dialect) by Heinrich Wagner

Paragraph 514, No. 10, p. 199 under NA FORAINMNEACHA RÉAMH-FHOCLACHA AGUS NA RÉAMH-FHOCLA ANNSEO (section beginning on p. 196):

514. 10. uaim (uam)

wyəmsə uam-sa.

wyÉ™t’∫ə, wyÉ™tsÉ™ uait-se.

wi:ə, wyəsn uadh, uadh-san.

wyÉ™hI∫ə (the fifth phoneme is an upper case “i”, not lower case “l”.) uaithe-se.

wyÉ™n’, wyÉ™N’ε uainn, uainn-ne.

wyÉ™v, wyÉ™f’∫ə uaibh, uaibh-se.

wyəfəsn uafa-san.

Cluintear wyÉ™-, wiÉ™- (wi:É™-) i dtús na bhfuirm seo. æ mÉ‘hÉ™r’ ó m’athair.

Lughaidh
    Participant

In Gaoth Dobhair, according to : Deilbhíocht Ghaeilge Ghaoth Dobhair, by Damien Ó Muirí:

wuːəm, wiːəm
    wuːəd, wiːəd
    wuːai
    wuːaix’É™, waix’É™
    wuːən’, wiːən’
    wuːəv’, wiːəv’
    wuːəfə, wiːəfə

Rosie
    Participant

Thank you! 🙂 That info helped a LOT! It was bothering me that I didn’t know. In the second post, are those respectively: uaim, uait, uaidh, uaithi, uainn, uaibh, and uathu? Thank you for your time.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I wouldn’t spell them as in standard Irish because they don’t correspond.
    Rather:

bhuaim
    bhuad
    bhuaidh
    bhuaithe
    bhuainn
    bhuaibh
    bhuafa

But of course nobody writes like that (except me), since Donegal people and other Gaeltacht people never learn to write in their dialect, unfortunately.

Rosie
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat! That helped too. That explains why the pronunciation’s so different than the other two dialects.

Rosie
    Participant

Thank you also to tiomluadocein! I’m new and didn’t realize it was two separate people who responded! I looked up the pronunciation key to your response and it helped too.

tiomluasocein
    Participant

I think what both of us have offered are fairly close in terms of pronunciation. I mean, you can split hairs but as long as you get close, I don’t think there’s a problem. Even using “standard” pronunciation would be understood I think. Fine tuning comes with spending time in the locale and talking to speakers there.

Rosie
    Participant

Yeah, I think you’re right.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.