Preposition I or IN?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fuinseog
    Participant

In Ó Domhnaill I read the following under I.
    i (eclipses; becomes in before vowels, bhur, dhá, and titles [of books etc.].

So, if for instance I write ‘i lár an tsamhraidh’ as a title of an article, book etc., should I be writing

In Lár an tSamhraidh / IN LÁR AN TSAMHRAIDH?

Neither of them gets a total OK on CEART.

Grateful for any help with this.

Fuinseog

Onuvanja
    Participant

I think what is meant is that “i” becomes “in” when used before the title of a book, etc. In the case you refer to, you would have to write “In “I Lár an tSamhraidh” a léigh mé é”.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I think he means the book title is “Lár an tSamhraidh” so he wants to know if it should be “i ‘Lár an tSamhraidh'” or “in ‘Lár an tSamhraidh'”.

I don’t know the answer to that question (I would assume the latter) but I was previous unfamiliar with that rule.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Sorry! 🙂 Then it should be “in “Lár an tSamhraidh” a léigh mé é”, etc.

This is a handy rule, as it dispenses you from having to use eclipsis. Otherwise, you would have to say “I gCré na Cille a léigh mé é seo” (“I read it while buried in churchyard clay”), whereas what you mean is “In Cré na Cille a léigh mé seo” (“I read it in a book titled Cré na Cille”).

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Makes sense when you put it that way! It’s funny – there are so many rules like this in Irish that I am sure I will still be encountering them years from now.

Fuinseog
    Participant

GRMA Onuvanja agus Héilics Órbhuí for thr replies.

Onuvanja’s original reply is indeed what I meant.

In ‘i Lár an tSamhraidh a’ a leigh mé é.

Ó Dónaill and De Bhaldraithe are great reads in themselves. Lots of gems of information in them.

Thanks again
    Fuinseog

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Welcome. Sorry for adding confusion – I rather misunderstood your intent but I guess it all worked out in the end. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.