Prepositional pronouns “as” in Ulster dialect

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Prepositional pronouns “as” in Ulster dialect

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

I recently found this http://annexedicoirlandais.free.fr/pronprep.html helpful page online about the prepositional pronouns in the different dialects. However, there SEEMS like there may be a typo; so I’m wondering if anyone can verify if it’s true that, in the Ulster (Donegal) dialect, the “as” prepositional pronouns really do reflect the “ag” ones exactly…it kinda doesn’t seem right…thanks!

tiomluasocein
    Participant

Looks like a typo. I can’t say for sure if any of the other dialectal offerings are close to the northern dialects but I can check “Gaeilge Theilinn” by Heinrich Wagner (the same book that I quoted in your other post on the forms of “ó” and post them here. I don’t have it with me right now so give me a few hours.

Rosie
    Participant

Wow…Thank you! That would be so cool. But no hurry.

tiomluasocein
    Participant

Here’s was the book (Gaeilge Theillin) has:

asam
    asat
    as; as-san
    aistí
    asainn asaibh
    astú

These look very much like the “standard” (the last column) given on that chart except that “aisti” and “astu” are accented on the last syllables.

Wagner notes that the beginnings of these words, except for “aistí”, are pronounced “is-” (in the book, an “i” with an umlaut, i.e. two dots, over it called a “high-mixed-wide vowel”) or “æs-“, while “aistí” starts with “ɛʃ-“. Again, as with any fine tuning, something approximate with fine tuning later on should be OK.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Thanks Comhalta for warning us about the typo in the “annexedicoirlandais” page, which has been created by me. I’ve just corrected the paradigm of “as” (ios).

tiomluasocein
    Participant

Maith thú, a Lughaidh, a mhic. 🙂

Rosie
    Participant

Thank you first to Tiomluasocein for taking the time to look up that neat info in your book! And also to Lughaidh for fixing the typo…btw, your webpage is REALLY good. I’ve been using it to plug the local spellings into the Gweedore setting on http://www.abair.tcd.ie/?page=synthesis&lang=eng to get pretty good pronunciations. Y’all both sure helped me!

tiomluasocein
    Participant

That’s a nice service you have there. 🙂

Lughaidh is one of the busiest Irish language folk around and offers a lot of help to those of us who are needy. lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.